Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before I nstall Ubuntu 32bit 64bit Much Diffference

Beans

Before I nstall Ubuntu 32bit 64bit Much Diffference

Because Im new to this I just want to clarify a couple of questions

Ive been running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 32 bit from the CD and I want to install it so I can run either Windows or Ubuntu. When Im on the main screen in Ubuntu and you have the icon to click on to install Ubuntu this will install it so you can choose to boot into Windows or Ubuntu Is that Right ?

Second

Im currently running the 32 bit version but going buy my comuter details below:

Windows XP Professional
    intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU
    6400 @ 2.13Ghz
    2.14 GHZ, 3.62 GB of Ram

Processors
    2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400@2.13GHZ

I can run the 64 bit version, I havent done this becuase I have read mixed reports and been told unless you have at least 4GB of Ram 64 bit is not much different.

Is there any real difference between 32 bit and 64 bit verson in Ubuntu ? Is one faster ?

Thanks for any help

Beans

Before I install 32bit or 64 Bit Question

Ive been running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 32 bit from the CD and I want to install it so I can run either Windows or Ubuntu. When Im on the main screen in Ubuntu and you have the icon to click on to install Ubuntu this will install it so you can choose to boot into Windows or Ubuntu Is that Right ?

Second

Im currently running the 32 bit version but going buy my computer details below:

Windows XP Professional
    intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU
    6400 @ 2.13Ghz
    2.14 GHZ, 3.62 GB of Ram

Processors

I can run the 64 bit version, I havent done this becuase I have read mixed reports and been told unless you have at least 4GB of Ram 64 bit is not much different.

Is there any real difference between 32 bit and 64 bit verson in Ubuntu ? Is one faster ?

Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Before I install 32bit or 64 Bit Question

You wont see any remarkable difference in 64-bit desktop editions. They could be a pain when you try to install apps! You have to convert them or rely on a patch or a workaround. Its never straight.

And yes, if you dont have more than 4GB, then there is simply no point in inviting trouble. Go for 32-bit Ubuntu. I had 64-bit once and suffered. Every little thing like flash, sound and many others have to be converted.

This 64-bit is good for heavy users who do large video conversions or use multimedia apps. 32-bit is sweet. Sometimes, you must defy a new technology or an advancement!
    Report Ubuntu bugs here: Ubuntu Launchpad.
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 32-bit Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by victorash View Post

Second

Im currently running the 32 bit version but going buy my computer details below:

Windows XP Professional
    intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU
    6400 @ 2.13Ghz
    2.14 GHZ, 3.62 GB of Ram

Processors

Thanks for any help
    Hi and first, if you choose to resize your windows partition and then install Ubuntu. Then you will have a dual boot system.
    Secondly, I run the 64bit and yes it is faster and I can not state on that amount of memory. If your system can use the 64bit system then I suggest you use 64bit. You can look here for assistant
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Hi and first, if you choose to resize your windows partition and then install Ubuntu. Then you will have a dual boot system.
    Secondly, I run the 64bit and yes it is faster and I can not state on that amount of memory. If your system can use the 64bit system then I suggest you use 64bit. You can look here for assistant
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343
    64-bit is not as good as a 32-bit option for desktops and for relatively new users. I wouldnt even recommend 64 bit for advanced users unless you want to use it multimedia production? What is the edge you are getting?? I was with 64 bit Kubuntu and every solution was a workaround.
    Report Ubuntu bugs here: Ubuntu Launchpad.
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 32-bit Desktop

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gtdaqua View Post
    64-bit is not as good as a 32-bit option for desktops and for relatively new users. I wouldnt even recommend 64 bit for advanced users unless you want to use it multimedia production? What is the edge you are getting?? I was with 64 bit Kubuntu and every solution was a workaround.
    HI and I am using Hardy 64bit and have had no work around as you call them. I started using the 64bit in Feisty and I admit there was issues with flash and some others but I have had no issues with Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Before I nstall Ubuntu 32bit 64bit Much Diffference

You're right. The 32-bit version can only read upto 3.7 GB of RAM, so you shouldn't use the 64-bit.
    There are other reasons, including missing of some codecs for media playback, the missing of the Java plugin, and others.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Before I nstall Ubuntu 32bit 64bit Much Diffference

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecrabilus View Post
    You're right. The 32-bit version can only read upto 3.7 GB of RAM, so you shouldn't use the 64-bit.
    There are other reasons, including missing of some codecs for media playback, the missing of the Java plugin, and others.
    HI and the op has another thread on this same subject and I responded.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=833933
    What are these issue you are speaking of?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Based on the amount of memory that Windows is reporting, it sounds like you have 4G of RAM. In which case, I would recommend trying the 64bit version as overdrank said. If you find that things don't work right, it's not difficult to re-install 32bit (the settings in /home are compatible when switch architectures).
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

I am using 8.04 64-bit Ubuntu with absolutely no problems. I had one program that I had to install support for 32-bit (which took all of 2 minutes). All others worked without any extra setup at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast