Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people dislike Vista

Beans

Why do so many people dislike Vista

Why do so many people dislike Windows Vista? I do not understand why people say Microsoft is so bad. (most of the comparisons are with Mac not Linux )
    A common thing that is said about Microsoft is that it is slow, but that's because you never really run Mac OS X on an old computer as most people who use Macs buy the latest thing every 2-3 years. Vista is in fact not slow on my computer and my PC is not particularly good, AMD 3000+, 512 Ram and Gefore 4. Its fast and very responsive, I would say that it seems faster than XP.

Unreliability, this seems to be the worst thing that anyone says about Vista, but to me, it seems like it is done to try and cover up a problem with Mac OSX - Kernel panics. Just google and you will find thousands of pages about people requiring help. I actually have a mac and do not prefer it or vista, they are both OSs which are quite nice, but I have NEVER had a BSOD on Vista, while I have a kernel panic once or twice. I know this is not really evidence, but what I think is that the claims about Vista being terrible are exagerated.

Bloat, this is the one thing I agree that there is a problem with Vista, but what could Microsoft do for this?
    It would be extremely expensive and time consuming for them to go back a recode everything like the kernel and explorer so that they manage memory much better. This could be something that is done for Windows 8.
    Last edited by oasmar1; June 18th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Why do so many people dislike Vista

Quote Originally Posted by oasmar1 View Post
    Why do so many people dislike Windows Vista? I do not understand why people say Microsoft is so bad. (most of the comparisons are with Mac not Linux )
    A common thing that is said about Microsoft is that it is slow, but that's because you never really run Mac OS X on an old computer as most people who use Macs buy the latest thing every 2-3 years. Vista is in fact not slow on my computer and my PC is not particularly good, AMD 3000+, 512 Ram and Gefore 4. Its fast and very responsive, I would say that it seems faster than XP.
    Why do people dislike Vista? There are several reasons:

• Very expensive for very little benefit
    • Very high system requirements
    • EULA and activation
    • Useless by itself

My experience with Vista is not good on several computers. Vista is a pretty ok Windows version, if you have the hardware, but it has hardware driver issues even with "Vista Certified" hardware, especially my webcam. It lacks basic compatibility (No support for ext2?) and it comes with no useful software or anti-virus (but they try to sell that with computers to make more money). Vista is useless by itself, it only serves as a platform for other software.

Beans

Because Vista just brings back bad memories to me. I dislike it because I bought a computer with xp on it and six months later when Vista released it wouldn't run on my computer because it was "outdated". I dislike it because on the computer I do have Vista on it's been buggy and slow with 2 GB ram so I don't see how you can say it runs fast with 512 MB. I dislike it because like what you said it's bloated and yes there is something they can do about that, get rid of all the useless application and trial software that just takes up space. Yet the biggest reason I don't like it was because they built up all this hype about the new microsoft operating system and OMG it's going to be so fantastic and awesome it's just going to blow everybody away and then it turned out to be nothing special. With that being said I think XP was a better operating system and I actually liked it when I was a user.

Beans

Also, it has none of the features that were promised in 2003...

Beans

Well atleast you guys have provided reasons for why you dislike the OS which is better than the usual "It sucks and BSODs every minute"

Beans

Why do you think they are pushing to release Windows 7? It was the same with Windows ME and how they turned right back around and released XP as soon as they could.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oasmar1 View Post
    Well atleast you guys have provided reasons for why you dislike the OS which is better than the usual "It sucks and BSODs every minute"
    I think LaRoza provided you with several reason granted on most linux forums you will always find people with bad experiences in windows ranting how much it just sucks.

Beans

There's also the company behind the OS to consider. Convicted monopolist, and it also behaves like its own crime organization, committing acts of racketeering and bribery.

Oh, and they want to destroy Linux in the most dishonest way possible.

I've also had my own personal experience with Vista. This machine used to have Vista on it. And, before the machine got Internet access, Vista only had stability issues.

Once it got connected to the Internet, it became slow and unsecure.

Beans

I dislike Vista because my computer came pre-loaded with it. At the time, I was excited to try out the new OS, and looking forward to the improvements it made on XP. To my great dismay, my computer (which, as preloaded with Vista should have been fine) was too anemic to run such a bloated, elephantine monstrosity. Now, I don't consider my computer to be underpowered: yes, it's nowhere near the top of the line, but it's a lot better than my old computer which ran XP fine.

I suppose I should be grateful: my experience with Vista was what prompted me to dump both Vista and XP and try out Linux. Now, I'm dual-booting Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9, and both run slick on my "underpowered" computer.

(Mind you, I had nothing against Microsoft until my experience with Vista.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Posting from Vista... it's ok. It really is too slow and it doesn't feel like an upgrade from XP (aesthetically maybe). I prefer the latter. Unfortunately, Sony didn't give me a choice when I bought this Vaio. I don't like that it wants to hog the whole drive. I actually had to force-shrink it with GParted while I was running Linux Mint from an external drive.

It hasn't done anything to offend me yet. Just the usual annoyance that I gladly do without when using my moment's distro of choice.
    [AMD AthlonX2 4000,Emaxx MCP61S-AVL,2GB Geil,7300GT 512MB,160GB]
    [Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965,Core2 P7350 2.0GHz,4GB RAM,200GB HDD]
    [Sony Vaio VGN-CR35G,Core2 T8100 2.10GHz,2GB RAM,200GB HDD]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast