Thread: [SOLVED] Installing Rails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Installing Rails

I had to re-install Ubuntu and I am trying to install Rails. The book states that /usr/local/bin/rails

But $which rails shows it in /usr/bin/rails.

I tried to drag it to the right spot, but it did not work and the rails I did is showing as an error. How do I move this?

-edit-

If there is a better spot for this in the forums, could this post be moved? I was not sure where to post this.
    Last edited by lyceum; June 17th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Rails

I wouldn't actually move it. Instead, I would create a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin/rails to /usr/bin/rails. A symbolic link is similar to a shortcut on Windows. By doing this, you will be able to follow along with the book, and applications that use rails will still be able to access it in /usr/local/bin/rails. To create the symbolic link, enter the following code in a terminal:

Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/rails /usr/local/bin/rails
    You should now be able to access rails through /usr/local/bin/rails and through /usr/bin/rails.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Rails

Quote Originally Posted by Cheater View Post
    I wouldn't actually move it. Instead, I would create a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin/rails to /usr/bin/rails. A symbolic link is similar to a shortcut on Windows. By doing this, you will be able to follow along with the book, and applications that use rails will still be able to access it in /usr/local/bin/rails. To create the symbolic link, enter the following code in a terminal:

Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/rails /usr/local/bin/rails
    You should now be able to access rails through /usr/local/bin/rails and through /usr/bin/rails.
    Thanks, I actually got it fixed and was coming here to state that, I found

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails

and just re-installed.