Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamebuntu? A gaming edition of ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gamebuntu? A gaming edition of ubuntu?

Please, no more ubuntu's.

The normal one works just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What about a metapackage approach like Ubuntu Studio has? Sure they have a full distro, but anybody with a regular install can do a "sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio"

Just an idea.

Beans

There are some things a specific distro could accomplish I think.

On an actual computer level, there could be a desktop environment designed for gamers. I have no idea what this would look like, or how it would function, but surely a well designed one could be an attraction. Maybe supporting built in widgets (that's what those things on the side of the screen with vista are right?) of flash games or something.

Or a distribution that minimizes system resources (though Ubuntu is pretty good on this already).

Specific drivers could be included for things like the wiimote, and the other controllers. Just including the wiimote might enable wiicade games to be played the way they are meant to be played. (please note, I don't know if any of this is possible, I'm just throwing out ideas).

On a consumer level (I use the term even though this is and should be free), the idea of a distribution just for games has an attraction all its own.

It seems like a good idea to me. It would be awesome to be able to play a flash game with the wiimote from the desktop, or play nexius with the 360 controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    You have no idea how many times this has already been brought up, discussed and generally rejected.

Why would you need a gaming specific version of Ubuntu when the regular version of Ubuntu is fully capable of gaming already? Having a games repository is definitely a good idea, but just add it to the regular Ubuntu, don't create a whole new Ubuntu "flavor" for it.
    A meta package that points to a series of packages and themes is a better idea to me than an actual distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, the meta package is nicer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 Vadi.

Beans
    Hidden!

On the other hand, is there any existing distro designed specifically for games? Perhaps this is a niche which could be filled. Not necessarily with a 'buntu, but basing it on an existing distro would be much easier. Also, I like the idea of being able to play off a live cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ubuntu ultimate gamers edition (new version coming soon), fedora games spin, linux gamers live cd, ... ... ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, point made. Maybe I should do a bit more research next time

Beans

I think it's a great idea to make a meta-package/spin-off for games. This just might entice commercial developers to port their new games to Linux, or at least make them Wine compatible.

Think about this:
    Commercial game devs have their own deb and rpm repos do patches can easily be implemented.
    The DVDs come with a deb file that copies the data files across similar to how Flash of Quake2 is installed (listed as quake2-data in the repo, it runs a script to copy the files from the disk but there's no engine).
    The disk can also add the companies repo where the user can get the latest version of the games engine and get demo data files for other games. (The game data and engine are in separate deb files in my mind).
    .tar.gz files will also be there for less popular distros and they can make packages for Arch for the hardcore gamers who want stripped gown gaming systems.

All we have to do is make Ubuntu a pleasure to develop games for. The popularity argument is invalid if the cost of porting is ridiculously cheap.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast