Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Beans

Re: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Last edited by SamStone33; October 18th, 2008 at 01:02 AM.

Beans

Same issue as everyone else. Dell Precision M6300 (http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04). It had been working perfectly since my fresh install over 1 month ago. I opened the lid to my laptop last night (lid closed = sleep mode) only to discover that it didn't wake and this issue was happening (black blank screen, caps and num lock blinking). I have been unable fix it yet. Sometime it will boot and run, other times it freezes before the logon screen.

My only input: a new wireless broacom driver showed up in my proprietary hardware list the other night, named "Broadcom STA wireless driver." I unfortunately don't have the name of the driver that this one replaced, but I seem to remember that it did not have STA in the name. I installed the new "STA" driver, worked great for 2 or 3 days...now this issue.

lspci retrieves the following Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev01)

Hope this might help, I could really use a fix.

Beans

I also have a PCI wireless card that returns the following' Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g'. The freeze only happens when I am surfing the Net. At first I thought that it was Firefox 3 that was causing it but after using Epiphany and Firefox 2 it wasn't that, it must be the PCI wireless card. I was ecstatic when 8.04 recognized the card and my wireless network right away and started working out of the box but now I'm not so sure .

Beans

I also have the same problem. I am pretty sure, it is something with wlan because I was able to use my laptop for 20 hours, with wlan disabled. enabling it again - browsing internet - freezing again.
    I use: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
    This is not what i expect from a LTS version... have to go back to windows if this cant get fixed (and i do NOT want to do this)

btw: firefox is great - just had a crash while writing the message - firefox restored it for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbinz View Post
    I also have the same problem. I am pretty sure, it is something with wlan because I was able to use my laptop for 20 hours, with wlan disabled. enabling it again - browsing internet - freezing again.
    I use: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
    This is not what i expect from a LTS version... have to go back to windows if this cant get fixed (and i do NOT want to do this)

btw: firefox is great - just had a crash while writing the message - firefox restored it for me
    I think that you are right, it is definitely the wifi connection that is causing the crashes. Here I first thought that it was Firefox 3 but after the same thing happened with Firefox 2 and Epiphany I narrowed it down to the wlan connection.

I THINK that I have corrected the problem now, I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 motherboard with an Intel Q6600 chip and the lockups were occurring on a regular basis when I had a D-Link PCI wireless card that uses the Ralink chipset installed. I pulled out the PCI wireless card and put in an Edimax USB wifi adapter that also uses the Ralink chipset and also happens to work right out of the box. lsusb returns 'Bus 007 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp'. That seems to have cured the problem here. On a laptop you might have to blacklist the on board wireless device for the USB one to work, I'm no Ubuntu expert so I'm not sure but so far this has cured my crashes that were driving me crazy . It's worth a try for anyone else who is experiencing the same problem and there seem to be quite a few of us.

Beans

I have been OK for some time now, over 24 hours and lots of wireless web surfing with no crash. I have not implemented any fixes, just trying to make it crash again so I could see what it is that it doesn't like.

If it happens again, I will disable the wlan as posted above and give it a go as a first method of troubleshooting. However, not having the wlan would suck, especially if I have to resort to a USB wlan adapter. I guess it would be OK for the time being, until a fix...

Beans

i disabled ipv6 by editing /etc/modprobe.d/aliases:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 ipv6 => alias net-pf-10 off ipv6
    no freeze since a long time now... i hope that did it.

Beans

this DID NOT solve the problem. got a freeze again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Any hopes that 8.10 will be free of this problem?

I've been putting up with occasional freezes since april, and now I think I should've just reverted to 7.10 right away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

for what it's worth, I'm getting this problem too

I'm running 8.04 on a dell d630 and my crashes seem to happen most often when I'm in college and so there are a whole pile of wireless networks about...

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast