Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Hybrid View

Beans

8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

I am running Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude D620 and today I performed an upgrade in which for me the new kernel was installed (2.6.24-19-generic).
    Since this upgrade I have been experiencing the same issue as is described in the (archived) thread 7.10 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash.

Due to the fact that I am running Hardy and the fact that the other thread is archived I decided to start this new thread.

What I would like to know is how I could diagnose this issue. Are there -- for example -- any log files I could look into to see what happens just before the freeze?.
    Any help to resolve this very annoying issue would be highly appreciated.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

Re: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

From the archived thread
    Quote Originally Posted by AusIV4 View Post
    The caps and scroll lock flashing indicates a kernel panic. This almost always means hardware issues, and most commonly (in my experience) the problem is with RAM.

Run Memtest86+ for a while. It should alert you if there are bad segments.
    I did run Memtest86+ (for those who like to do this as well, makes sure you have time on your hands. My test ran for just over 2 hours) ... no errors where detected.

Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

I had one wifi card (Linksys) that caused this problem on multiple computers. On each computer it used Ubuntu's drivers. I bought two new cards of different brands. One used Ubuntu's drivers and the other required Ndiswrapper. I have yet to have this problem again.

Thats all the help I can give.

Beans

(Forgot to subscribe to the thread)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am also experiencing this problem with 8.04. I don't remember if I had it on 7.10.

As indicated above, I don't believe it is a RAM issue because I dual boot to use Windows at work and have not had any issues.

Are there any logs to check for this that might indicate anything?
    -user error

| I enjoy Linux! | Using 64bit Ubuntu! |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimbofluffy View Post
    I had one wifi card (Linksys) that caused this problem on multiple computers. On each computer it used Ubuntu's drivers. I bought two new cards of different brands. One used Ubuntu's drivers and the other required Ndiswrapper. I have yet to have this problem again.
    I am using the cards that are integrated with the laptop. So changing it will be out of the question
    Thanks for the info anyway

Quote Originally Posted by usererror View Post
    Are there any logs to check for this that might indicate anything?
    That indeed would be helpful.

@ usererror: Saw in your signature that you also have a Dell Latitude D620.
    Is that where you are experiencing this issue on?
    What may indicate that it is make/model related.

Beans

On a side note, I just want to point out that before doing a *hard* shut down (holding power button until it dies), try the Skinny Elephants command first, to avoid filesystem corruption.

http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_T...Elephants.html

That is all. Carry on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    @ usererror: Saw in your signature that you also have a Dell Latitude D620.
    Is that where you are experiencing this issue on?
    What may indicate that it is make/model related.
    Which logs would I look at?

Yes, the issue I am having the freeze on is my D620. My desktop works fine.
    -user error

| I enjoy Linux! | Using 64bit Ubuntu! |

Beans

I am using the cards that are integrated with the laptop. So changing it will be out of the question
    Thanks for the info anyway
    There is one more thing you could try before installing an older Kernel (whatever the one was in 7.04 or early 7.10). Try disabling the wireless driver that comes with Ubuntu for you wireless card (I can't help you with all the steps for that part) and then use Ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver for it.

Beans

From the archived thread

I did run Memtest86+ (for those who like to do this as well, makes sure you have time on your hands. My test ran for just over 2 hours) ... no errors where detected.

Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    i say its a kernel issue mainly

you should run a memtest for atleast 24 hours if you think theres a problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast