Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Beans

Re: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Quote Originally Posted by usererror View Post
    Which logs would I look at?
    Would indeed be helpful if someone could give a hint on where to look or what to check.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    I am using the cards that are integrated with the laptop. So changing it will be out of the question
    Thanks for the info anyway
    There is one more thing you could try before installing an older Kernel (whatever the one was in 7.04 or early 7.10). Try disabling the wireless driver that comes with Ubuntu for you wireless card (I can't help you with all the steps for that part) and then use Ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same thing happening to me.

I switched to Hardy 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19, GNOME 2.22.2, running in an Intel Core2 Duo T7500, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Dell D630c notebook.

I noticed that most frequently, it happens when I am running on batteries... By the way, if I don't press a key or move the mouse, it will freeze for a few seconds before responding... Once in a while, if I leave it too long (undetermined period), flashing starts.

It just happened to me while plugged to AC for the first time. Doing nothing special. One Firefox session with multiple tabs. Netbeans 6.0.1 idle behind.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks!!
    A.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by artmendez View Post
    I noticed that most frequently, it happens when I am running on batteries... By the way, if I don't press a key or move the mouse, it will freeze for a few seconds before responding... Once in a while, if I leave it too long (undetermined period), flashing starts.

It just happened to me while plugged to AC for the first time. Doing nothing special. One Firefox session with multiple tabs. Netbeans 6.0.1 idle behind.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks!!
    This exact thing is happening / has happened to me on a Dell Inspiron 6000, well, minus netbeans.

Is this a problem caused by the newest kernel update, or what?

Beans

Just to inform you all, I have issued a bug report on this issue.
    See bug #244429
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans

Just so everybody understands, this problem is not specific to Ubuntu. I am running Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring with all recent updates and I am also having this problem on one of my machines.

However, it does seem to be specific to the 586 version because I have no problems whatsoever with my 2 x86_64 machines, also running Mandriva 2008.1.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just had a kernel panic. Never had one in Gutsy. Not installed a new kernel in weeks (months?), not sure why it happened. I'm not on a Dell Laptop either, it's a desktop (see below).

Beans

Forgot to add that I am not running this on a Dell.

It is a machine I built. Specs are Epox EP-4VKM3I motherboard, Pentium IV CPU, 1GB RAM, Linksys RT61-based wireless card, VisionTek NVidia-based video card, DVD-RW.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As it is pointing out... could it be Dell hardware-related under Hardy?

I begin to rule out running under batteries (power management modules?)... My notebook just crashed again under AC. Temperature probed CPU: ~60°C, GPU: ~64°C.

No Netbeans this time, but Eric IDE up. (honestly I don't think IDEs have to do).

Anyone that has gone through this has observed that freeze-up on pointer response when running in batteries and leaving the machine alone for about a minute?

Gonna dig out system logs and share. (system, kernel, user, daemon logs will do?)

'Later.
    A.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well... My Dell has a built-in NVidia Quadro NVS 135M.

AlGorenator's Inspiron 6000 has... ATI Radeon?

I'm running mine in WXGA mode (1280x800, 24-bit)... the Inspiron 6000 runs also in WXGA, correct?
    A.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast