Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualbox updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Virtualbox updates

Yeah I just comment out the newest kernel in my menu.lst until the updates for virtual box come out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Yeah I just comment out the newest kernel in my menu.lst until the updates for virtual box come out.
    You only have to change the "default" number to point to the correct entry you want to boot by default.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Virtualbox updates

Yep, I have the same problem. This seems to happen almost every time Ubuntu sends out a kernel update. In my opinion (as well as others in my office) it reflects very poorly on Ubuntu.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use the non-OSE version and whenever this happens to me (happened twice already), I just double-click on the virtualbox deb file and hit reinstall. After that, it works. No problems with my existing VM.
    Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

it reflects very poorly on Ubuntu.
    IMO it reflects even more poorly on Sun. They should be maintaining up-to-date packages for all major distros and hosting their own repos if they want to maintain control - not simply providing their own downloadables. VB 1.6 has been a royal pain on Hardy.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    IMO it reflects even more poorly on Sun. They should be maintaining up-to-date packages for all major distros and hosting their own repos if they want to maintain control - not simply providing their own downloadables. VB 1.6 has been a royal pain on Hardy.
    Don't you just hate it when companies like Sun pretend to support open source software when they just make use of community contributed code for their commercial purpose and just leave scraps in the form of a crippled version of the software for you and I.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

yeah, the OSE version is definitely crippled, Downloaded the non-OSE version today, got the USB support and seamless mode working and I'm simply amazed at this piece of software. My wife is actually starting to prefer Ubuntu to Windows (because of all the cool stuff I can do for free), if only web-designers thought of something other than IE/Windows..., well virtualbox solves that for us and with seamless mode it *almost* feels like I'm not booting up windows, if it only behaved with Compiz perfectly </wish>

ps, why the heck is all this good stuff disabled in the OSE version

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12