Thread: Firewall Logs Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Firewall Logs Help?

I have googled and read a lot about firewall logging recently and I am trying to get a handle on Iptables. I think I have finally found the log reader I want to use but have a few questions.

I use fwbuilder to create my firewall and I have 6 rules rule 0 anything imbound on eth0 from the firewall is blocked I read something about anti spoofing rule 1 is to allow anything on looopback

rule 2 is to src firewall to any several know services incluinding http, the win2000 service group and useful icmp and this is in an outbound direction

rule 3 from home network to the firewall and allowed services in booth directions this includes win2000 service group for such things as samba

rule 4 from anywhere to the firewall allow certing services such as http and this is inbound

rule 5 deny anything else

I setup logging for rule 0 and rule 5

now when I first started I set my syslog warn to got /var/log/iptables.log and have many hits

Jun 17 10:27:47 dlehman kernel: [982846.584713] RULE 0 -- DENY IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.2 DST=192.168.1.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=46590 DPT=137 LEN=58

Jun 17 10:29:03 dlehman kernel: [982922.789191] RULE 0 -- DENY IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.2 DST=192.168.1.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58

Jun 17 10:31:58 dlehman kernel: [983097.345032] RULE 5 -- DENY IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.1.2 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=72 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=52
    I looks to me as if this is blocking broadcast trafic but I am not sure why because it is from the firewall it should be allowed unless it is blocking the response and I am not sure about that mulicast address I have not looked into it yet. Also port 137 should be open with the windows 2000 services group being allowed

the odd thing now is when I switch logging to ulog this is what I get

Jun 16 00:43:56 dlehman RULE 0 -- DENY IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=0.0.0.0 DST=0.0.0.0 LEN=0 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=0 ID=0 PROTO=0

Jun 16 00:44:12 dlehman RULE 5 -- DENY IN= OUT=eth0 MAC= SRC=0.0.0.0 DST=0.0.0.0 LEN=0 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=0 ID=0 PROTO=0

Jun 16 00:44:35 dlehman RULE 0 -- DENY IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=0.0.0.0 DST=0.0.0.0 LEN=0 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=0 ID=0 PROTO=0
    Iptable log viewer show the protocal as HOPOPT and from what I find that is a bad checksum

I have now switched back to logging to iptables.log and I am working with using fwlogwatch

So what I don't understand is how the logging format will affect what gets logged and could someone help me make sense of what each means

Thank you

dlehman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firewall Logs Help?

One thing I noticed is that all the blocked traffic you posted is UDP. Did you allow for both UPD and TCP when you created the rules? Post your iptables -L output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: Firewall Logs Help?

I noticed that too but looking at the fwbuilder it says that port 137 UDP is open

any way here is the iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
    target prot opt source destination
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    In_RULE_0 all -- dlehman.###.net anywhere state NEW
    ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
    Cid4841ACDD4885.0 all -- 192.168.1.0/24 anywhere state NEW
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp multiport dports www,https,nntp,ssh,domain state NEW
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp multiport dports ntp,domain state NEW
    RULE_5 all -- anywhere anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp ttl-zero-during-transit state NEW
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp ttl-zero-during-reassembly state NEW
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp type 0 code 0 state NEW
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp destination-unreachable state NEW
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp multiport dports www,https,nntp,ssh,domain,netbios-ssn,loc-srv,nameserver,microsoft-ds,kerberos,ldap,ldaps,3268,3269,webmin state NEW
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp multiport dports 5900,3389 state NEW
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp multiport dports ntp,domain,bootpc,bootps,netbios-dgm,netbios-ns,kerberos state NEW

Chain Cid4841ACDD4885.0 (1 references)
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp ttl-zero-during-transit
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp ttl-zero-during-reassembly
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp type 0 code 0
    ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp destination-unreachable
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp multiport dports domain,netbios-ssn,loc-srv,nameserver,microsoft-ds,kerberos,ldap,ldaps,3268,3269,webmin,5900,3389
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp multiport dports bootpc,bootps,domain,netbios-dgm,netbios-ns,kerberos

Chain In_RULE_0 (4 references)
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning prefix `RULE 0 -- DENY '
    DROP all -- anywhere anywhere

Chain RULE_5 (3 references)
    LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level warning prefix `RULE 5 -- DENY '
    DROP all -- anywhere anywhere
    I hashed out my full hostname

also here is a screen shot of my fwbuilder file

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Firewall Logs Help?

ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp multiport dports ntp,domain state NEW
    I don't see port 137 (netbios) included in that, could that be the problem? I'm not familiar with fwbuilder, so I can't help you in that respect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firewall Logs Help?

You are right I didn't notice that before, however I have just deleted the first rule all together I think it was more trouble then it was worth. I found a few articles on the anti spoofing and I get the impression it is only for firewalls with more then one NIC,

I still don't understand why the syslog showed the IP Address and ports but the ULOG showed 0.0.0.0 and proto 0 so I will stick with the syslog

Using Firewall Builder, Part I Part II

Thanks