Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much for each partition ?

Beans

Re: How much for each partition ?

500MB for /boot

Set up the rest in LVM, then you can expand as needed.

Start out with:
    20GB for /
    1GB for swap
    100GB for /home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Half a GB for /boot ? Does it just contain the bootloader ?

But if I want to install ubuntustudio or NetBeans then where does it go to ? / right ?
    So if I run out of / space later how would I expand 20GB to 50GB - I understand that process in partition manager is very lengthy and heavy.
    Ubuntu 12.06 x86_64 • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB cache 1066MHz Intel MoBo DG33
    8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz • 1GB 8600 GT nVidia Graphics Card • Dell SP2309W • LG Flatron L222WS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

/boot needs only about 150 MB.And it contains only the bootloader.If you install UbuntuStudio as a package,it will go to /.If you install it as a distro,it will need it's own /.You can leave out some unallocated space at the end of your / partition,so that you can just extend your partition using GParted without affecting your other partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Considering that I'll probably use Ubuntu in future for a lot of other applications (after migrating from Windows), I'll probably allot in this order :

250MB for /boot
    50GB for /
    300GB for /home
    5GB for swap

so that later I can install FC9 on a separate partition-drive and FC9's partitions
    250MB /boot
    50GB /
    5GB swap

remaining ~90GB for free-space or FAT32 shared drive or something.

But my question is - Can /home created by Ubuntu be shared by FC9 ?
    Ubuntu 12.06 x86_64 • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB cache 1066MHz Intel MoBo DG33
    8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz • 1GB 8600 GT nVidia Graphics Card • Dell SP2309W • LG Flatron L222WS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You don't NEED 250MB for /boot.My 150 MB /boot has only used 41.8 MB.You can share your /home but I'm unsure whether you can use the same username.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by anjanesh View Post
    But my question is - Can /home created by Ubuntu be shared by FC9 ?
    Yes it can. The only potential problem is that software packages that store settings in subdirectories under the home directories might get confused, particularly if the packages are at different versions (as they almost certainly will be in some cases). A way around this problem, if the system is not going to be used by multiple users, is to create a mount point for a directory like /home/anjanesh/data which you mount to a common partition shared by the two distros, and just discipline yourself to put all your own data files there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12