Thread: FInally!!!!!!!! LinuX-Gamers . a pack of games in DVD. a distro of Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

FInally!!!!!!!! LinuX-Gamers . a pack of games in DVD. a distro of Linux

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/

A few days ago, the linuX-gamers Live DVD version 0.9.3 was launched, packed with a lot of games of different types (FPS, RPG, strategy, arcade, etc.). This is a 'boot-and-play' Linux distribution, therefore it will allow you to play the games directly from the DVD without having to install anything at all on your computer.

linuX-gamers Live DVD 0.9.3 was showcased at the LinuxTag exhibition in Berlin, that took place between May 28 - May 31. For this edition, the developers added support for recent boards' chipsets, a GUI for easy network configuration, rebuild the base and mastering environment so it could support custom mastering. Moreover, you will easily configure your display from now on, thanks to the brand new configuration
    tool that was added.

In order to run the games on this Live DVD you will need a computer with at least 512 MB of RAM and a videocard with 3D acceleration. Your processor must be compatible with the x86 architecture. The video settings are saved to USB stick.

If you're wondering what games are included on this LiveDVD, here are some of the most popular:

Glest - a real time strategy game that sets the action in a world where technology and magic are at war with each other. The player can choose between magic and technology, and then fight against up to three enemies. You start the same way as in other RTS games, with a small base, a few basic units and a small quantity of resources. The goal of the game is to create an army powerful enough to destroy your enemies.

TORCS - The Open Racing Car Simulator is a car racing game and, at the same time, a research platform.

GL-117 - an action flight simulator where you are a member of the Eagle Squadron and take part in interesting missions through different landscapes.

Nexuiz - a FPS that uses a highly modified version of the Quake engine, called DarkPlaces. You can fight against bots or online, against other human players. For the time being, there are nine weapons and 24 futuristic maps that you can try out.

These are only a few of the games included on the linuX-gamers Live DVD, there are many others that you have to find out for yourselves and test them out.

linuX-gamers Live DVD is a bootable medium with a collection of popular 3D games. It contains both the NVIDIA and ATI proprietary Linux drivers and includes the following games:

· BzFLag
    · Enemy Territory
    · Glest
    · Nexuiz
    · Sauerbraten
    · Torcs
    · Tremulous
    · True Combat: Elite
    · Warsow and World of Padman

Although the live DVD is based on Arch Linux, it does not offer any desktop Linux functionality except gaming.

What's New in This Release:

· Recently our chief developers released a new version of linuX-gamers.net live-DVD. This version was used on the LinuxTag exhibition in Berlin. Changes: base and mastering environment rebuilt to support custom mastering; easy network configuration GUI; support for chipsets of recent boards; easy display setup GUI; video settings saved to USB sticks.

You can download this from http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Syste...VD-27941.shtml
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: FInally!!!!!!!! LinuX-Gamers . a pack of games in DVD. a distro of Linux

sabayon has had boot and play games for a good while now

Beans

I think it's a great idea, and nicely implemented. I haven't tried the new one, but the older one I have has been great fun. The only problem I've had is with how quickly some of the games' version numbers age, and also perhaps it'd be nice to see some titles like Supertux and ManiaDrive etc included. Felt it was perhaps a little bit too skewed towards the FPS genre for my liking. Otherwise it's good fun.

I'll get this one in shortly though and see what we've got. Well done to the guys behind this though.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans

I actually agree, I would rather see other games, most of those don't interest me. But hay, it's a great idea.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Moved to Other OS Talk.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

I think this is a great idea, I will be sure to burn a few dvds of this for my next LAN party
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!