Thread: downloading ISO with transmission: different hash?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

downloading ISO with transmission: different hash?

I can't seem to get a xubuntu ISO with the right hash (alternate for Intel desktop). I've lost count of my attempts to download it - I've tried with two different download managers and now with the Transmission client in Hardy. I've been trying for days now.

When I click on 'Details' in Transmission, I see that the file it's downloading already has a hash that looks nothing like the correct one. Is that normal? If not, why can't I seem to get a good CD image?

I need to install it in an older computer by the end of the week so that we can donate it to a less fortunate school in the community. It's really frustrating to wait so long for that huge file, only for it to be defective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: downloading ISO with transmission: different hash?

If possible, choose a different mirror for the next attempt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I click on 'Details' in Transmission, I see that the file it's downloading already has a hash that looks nothing like the correct one. Is that normal? If not, why can't I seem to get a good CD image?

I just tried this with a known good iso on my system and the hash was different.Open a terminal and
    Code:
    cd <path to iso>
    md5sum <name of iso>
    and see what you get.Compare it to the one in the file on the mirror you downloaded from.The chances are it is correct.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Did you download the torrent file from here? http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

If you download it from there then once it's downloaded and hash checked it should all be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kstella View Post
    Yes, the hash you see in transmission is a completely different one than the md5sum of the downloaded file. When the file is downloaded, run md5sum on it in a terminal.

EDIT:
    Something like this should tell you if your image is good.
    Code:
    cd Desktop # or wherever you've downloaded the iso to
    wget -q -O- http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/hardy/release/MD5SUMS | md5sum -c
    It will check the hash of all four xubuntu-isos, so you should get a failure on the three you didn't download, and an OK on the one you did.
    Last edited by geirha; June 17th, 2008 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by geirha View Post
    Yes, the hash you see in transmission is a completely different one than the md5sum of the downloaded file. When the file is downloaded, run md5sum on it in a terminal.
    Thank you! And to everyone else, too - thanks! That cleared it up for me.