Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Problem installing wicd

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Otago
    Beans
    958
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Problem installing wicd

    While following the instructions for installing wicd on Kubuntu via Synaptic (see following)


    " When it appears, go to Settings > Repositories > Third Party Software > Add..., and enter the following line:

    deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras

    where gutsy is your version of Ubuntu in lowercase (dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy, hardy). Then, click Reload, and wait while the package lists are downloaded. Now, search for "Wicd", and right click on it. Select Install, then press Apply, and Wicd will automatically be downloaded and installed for you."

    I get the following error message.....


    "Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

    I am at a loss to know what is going on....how do I install wicd and get rid of the error. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    While following the instructions for installing wicd on Kubuntu via Synaptic (see following)


    " When it appears, go to Settings > Repositories > Third Party Software > Add..., and enter the following line:

    deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras

    where gutsy is your version of Ubuntu in lowercase (dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy, hardy). Then, click Reload, and wait while the package lists are downloaded. Now, search for "Wicd", and right click on it. Select Install, then press Apply, and Wicd will automatically be downloaded and installed for you."

    I get the following error message.....


    "Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

    I am at a loss to know what is going on....how do I install wicd and get rid of the error. Thanks in advance.
    It is looking for the live CD that was used for the install. There should be a checkbox there for the CD that is checked (in the third-party software--I am using Adept in Kubuntu so it might be in a different place under the Repositories). Just unclick it and then run the update again. If you are using Hardy, please make sure that it says hardy instead of gutsy..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Otago
    Beans
    958
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    It is looking for the live CD that was used for the install. There should be a checkbox there for the CD that is checked (in the third-party software--I am using Adept in Kubuntu so it might be in a different place under the Repositories). Just unclick it and then run the update again. If you are using Hardy, please make sure that it says hardy instead of gutsy..
    OK, that worked....but now I dont have a third party settings option anymore....only ubuntu and cononical now show up...no third party option!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    OK, that worked....but now I dont have a third party settings option anymore....only ubuntu and cononical now show up...no third party option!
    You can try editing your sources.list file and remove the comment for your cdrom:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    Look for:
    Code:
    #deb cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/ hardy main restricted
    and remove the # at the beginning of the line. Save the file and see if you can see the third party stuff again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Otago
    Beans
    958
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    You can try editing your sources.list file and remove the comment for your cdrom:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    Look for:
    Code:
    #deb cdrom:[Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/ hardy main restricted
    and remove the # at the beginning of the line. Save the file and see if you can see the third party stuff again.
    This is weird...in the terminal I can use Kate to access the files but (obviously cannot edit/save) not use sudo kate or kdesu kate....!!???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    This is weird...in the terminal I can use Kate to access the files but (obviously cannot edit/save) not use sudo kate or kdesu kate....!!???
    What is the error message that you are getting?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Otago
    Beans
    958
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    What is the error message that you are getting?
    It does not recognise Kate as a command.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    It does not recognise Kate as a command.
    Did you use an upper-case K or the lower-case k? Linux is case-sensitive and will not find Kate, but should find kate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Otago
    Beans
    958
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Did you use an upper-case K or the lower-case k? Linux is case-sensitive and will not find Kate, but should find kate.
    Ah...correct....

    However, I now have managed to connect to the internet using Wireless Assistant.....I can get Kopete to work but not Firefox....how weird is that?

    Firefox says that it is in offline mode...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Problem installing wicd

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    Ah...correct....

    However, I now have managed to connect to the internet using Wireless Assistant.....I can get Kopete to work but not Firefox....how weird is that?

    Firefox says that it is in offline mode...
    If you click on File->Work Offline, does it get you back online? Also are you able to connect via Konqueror?

    You might also check and see if you can ping anything (ping -c1 www.google.com). If you cannot ping anything, you might try restarting your router and computer and see if everything clears up.

    I recall running into that also. I was able to use kopete without any problems but was unable to surf the web. After resetting everything, I found out that the pattern was with kopete. As soon as I started using kopete, I could not go anywhere on the web. I ended up not using kopete for the rest of the day and then the next day, all was fine. Sorry, not a great answer and does not really provide a solution. I just can relate to your pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •