Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up Pidgin so you can view your MSN buddies' personal messages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile HOWTO: Set up Pidgin so you can view your MSN buddies' personal messages

Update 2008-11-16: Most of the features of MSN Pecan are now included in the default 'MSN' option in Pidgin 2.5, which is included in Intrepid by default. If you no longer want MSN Pecan, you can remove the plugin by removing the "msn-pecan" and "pidgin-msn-pecan" packages from Synaptic Package Manager.

----------------------------------------------------------

msn-pecan is an alternative MSN/Windows Live Messenger plugin for Pidgin. In the author's own words:
    Being the main author of the MSN plug-in in Pidgin I got tired of being neglected from the development. So I started a fork.
    The project page is located at http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/

Please note: This is an unofficial plugin, so not supported by Pidgin's development team.

----------------------------------------------------------

New: Use the Ubuntu repository:

1. Click System>Adminitration>Software Sources, and enter your password if required.

2. Click on the "Third party software" tab, then click "Add..."

3. Type:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/msn-pecan/ubuntu hardy main
    and click "Add Source". Replace gutsy for hardy if you are using 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

4. Click on "Add..." again, type:
    Code:
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/msn-pecan/ubuntu hardy main
    and click "Add Source". Again replace gutsy for hardy if applicable.

5. Click "Close" then "Reload".

6. Once the Software Sources dialog box has closed, click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager, and enter your password if applicable.

7. Click Search, type
    Code:
    msn-pecan
    then click Search.

8. Important: If you see a package named "msn-pecan" which has a green square next to it, right click it, then click "Mark for Removal".

9. Right click "pidgin-msn-pecan" and click "Mark for Installation". If a warning about authentication appears, click "Mark".

10. Finally, click "Apply" then "Apply" again. After this has finished, close Synaptic Package Manager, and follow step 4 below.

Although this method has a few more steps, it does mean that updates will happen automatically.

-----------------------------------------------------

The old (manual) method:

I will do most things from the terminal, since it's easier to explain, but if you want, you can install the packages through synaptic. You can start the terminal from Applications>Accessories>Terminal.

Please close Pidgin before you start.

1. Install libpurple-dev and git-core:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libpurple-dev git-core
    2. Download the plugin:
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/felipec/msn-pecan.git
    3. Compile and install the plugin:
    Code:
    cd msn-pecan

make

sudo make install
    4. Setup Pidgin to use the new plugin:
    - a. Start Pidgin and go to Accounts>Manage.
    - b. Either disable your existing MSN account by unchecking the check box or delete it by selecting it and clicking Delete. I would recommend deleting it to keep things tidy, but it's up to you!
    - c. Click add and set up an account as you normally would, except select WLM instead of MSN for Protocol.

5. Done!

Please let me know how you get on!
    Last edited by ezramorris; November 17th, 2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Pecan's features in Intrepid

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up Pidgin so you can view your MSN buddies' personal messages

Wow thanks. Works perfectly!!

I missed the status messages of some of my friends. Not any more.
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Manged to download it ....

but for some reason number 3 doesn't work.. gives me error stuff.. the output being as long as my arm

and no WLM option anywhere that i can see

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scotcella View Post
    Manged to download it ....

but for some reason number 3 doesn't work.. gives me error stuff.. the output being as long as my arm

and no WLM option anywhere that i can see
    Any chance of posting the output (maybe just the end)?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

/usr/include/libpurple/certificate.h:543: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘time_t’
    /usr/include/libpurple/certificate.h:543: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘time_t’
    In file included from /usr/include/libpurple/account.h:44,
    from error.c:31:
    /usr/include/libpurple/connection.h:254: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘time_t’
    make: *** [error.o] Error 1
    This is the last few lines... the first two steps breezed through easily..

Beans
    Distro

This is the last few lines... the first two steps breezed through easily..
    Do you have the most up-to-date version of Pidgin?

I just compiled it now and it works fine.
    Last edited by ezramorris; June 20th, 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: compiling works for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The version I have now was included in Hardy..

Just checked and the version is 2.4.1.
    Last edited by scotcella; June 20th, 2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: a spelling mistake

Beans
    Distro

The version I have now was included in Hardy..

Just checked and the version is 2.4.1.
    Just found a pre-built deb here http://ppa.launchpad.net/reda.ea/ubu...n/m/msn-pecan/

Try out msn-pecan_0.0.14-1ubuntu1~ppa1_i386.deb . If it works I'll update the tutorial.

Beans

Thank you. This works perfectly for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi ezramorris,

Thanks,

I'm not really sure how to install it after downloading the package.

Usually I just copy and paste commands, or use the synoptics manager (point and click), so obviously I need to learn how to do this one.

When I download the package on to the desktop you've just given me, how to I install it from there?

Thanks for your help so far!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast