Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up Pidgin so you can view your MSN buddies' personal messages

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up Pidgin so you can view your MSN buddies' personal messages

Just double click it, and the package manager should open to install it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks...

Just worked it out.. hehe I couldn't wait so I figured I had nothing to lose if I clicked!

Whew!!!

Anyway thanks everyone for your help, everything works GREAT!!!

My only question now is.. is there a add on that will enable ME to put on personal messages? *hopes*

Beans

i had a problem with this msn plugin, it suddenly showed everyone as being offline. even though they saw me online and i could chat with them...

did anyone suffer that?

had to revert to the msn plugin

Beans

Thanks, one problem I found:

Unable to connect multiple instances of MSN through this plugin. I was able to connect my second account through the old plugin.
    Linux Registered User #457962

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scotcella View Post
    My only question now is.. is there a add on that will enable ME to put on personal messages? *hopes*
    Sort of. It is included by default. I haven't found it very good, but click on Available at the bottom of the screen, then select Available again from the pop up. A message box will now show underneath, and you can type a message in here.

The reason why it's so complicated is that pidgin doesn't actually support personal messages, but rather "status" messages.

Edit: It works fine as long as you don't have the musictracker plugin installed.
    Last edited by ezramorris; June 22nd, 2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: musictracker conflict

Beans

I also just realised that now my buddies dont have display pictures anymore
    This normally works fine with normal msn plugin. Strange. Or am I missing a configuration?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
    i had a problem with this msn plugin, it suddenly showed everyone as being offline. even though they saw me online and i could chat with them...

did anyone suffer that?

had to revert to the msn plugin
    Thanks, one problem I found:

Unable to connect multiple instances of MSN through this plugin. I was able to connect my second account through the old plugin.
    I haven't tried either of these, but if you like you can post a bug report here: http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/issues/list

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just tried this, works great so far! I'll report any bugs I encounter. Its a shame that the built-in Pidgin MSN protocol is so far behind.

Beans

Wow, thanks a lot for this, is it safe to add:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/reda.ea/ubuntu hardy main
    to my software sources to keep up to date with your developments?
    Also, any chance you can add offline messages support or does this need more plumbing fixes on the pidgin core?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xen
    Its a shame that the built-in Pidgin MSN protocol is so far behind.
    I asked about this on the Pidgin IRC, and they said there are plans to include this functionality in the future, but not through the msn-pecan code. It was due to msn-pecan not confirming to their code regulations or something.

Quote Originally Posted by FaberfoX View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot for this, is it safe to add:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/reda.ea/ubuntu hardy main
    to my software sources to keep up to date with your developments?
    Also, any chance you can add offline messages support or does this need more plumbing fixes on the pidgin core?
    Hi,
    Firstly I don't maintain/develop any of this stuff!

You could add that line, but it's up to you! If you want to test it an let me know if it works, then that could provide a much easier way for this tutorial.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast