Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new Laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Getting a new Laptop.

It's going to be pre installed with Vista for gaming purpose only (I hate Vista, but gaming fails on Linux =[ )

I'm going to partition about half my HD for Linux. I don't want to install Linux and regret my choice.

So, someone recommend me a distro? I'd prefer KDE.

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Re: Getting a new Laptop.

If you want a Debian based distro, then install the debian business iso (debian core) and then install KDE over it.

If you are new to linux, you will probably want a complete distro rather than building one yourself.

Almost every Linux distro has a KDE flavor and even if they don't, I am pretty sure that you can always install kde manually and get it.

What family are you looking at? Debian based? Red-hat based?

Are you extremely new to linux? or have you used it before?
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

if i were you, i would get a laptop with linux pre-installed and then add windows. some new laptops have serious issues running linux.

i'll never understand why people want to use linux, but buy a pc with windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    It's going to be pre installed with Vista for gaming purpose only (I hate Vista, but gaming fails on Linux =[ )

I'm going to partition about half my HD for Linux. I don't want to install Linux and regret my choice.

So, someone recommend me a distro? I'd prefer KDE.
    First make the recovery disks (most systems allow you to do this). Don't rely on recovery partitions.

I don't know for what you want Linux. OpenSUSE does KDE very nice. I suggest checking around for what you want.

Beans
    Distro

I use Ubuntu Hardy right now with Gnome. Been using Ubuntu for about 2 months, still not great with Linux.

As for the type of Linux.. Just something that works well. I'm not too technical. I just want a distro that is stable, works well, and won't give me headaches.

And like I said, I'm getting Windows Vista because I want to be able to play games. If someone can tell me a way to make games work, that's 100% stable, I'll save some money and not get Vista.

Beans
    Distro

Try Mint. The new KDE version should be out in a few days.

Beans

I use Ubuntu Hardy right now with Gnome. Been using Ubuntu for about 2 months, still not great with Linux.

As for the type of Linux.. Just something that works well. I'm not too technical. I just want a distro that is stable, works well, and won't give me headaches.

And like I said, I'm getting Windows Vista because I want to be able to play games. If someone can tell me a way to make games work, that's 100% stable, I'll save some money and not get Vista.
    If games is all you want Windows for, why pay more for Vista? You could always get a copy of XP. It may be cheaper.

As for Linux, Ubuntu is a great choice for beginners only because of this forum which offers great support. No other linux distro can claim that IMO. It is also one of the reasons for the popularity of Ubuntu for new users.

But there are other good and sometimes even better distros available depending on how you look at it. Debian is great in stability, but requires a little more tweaking than Ubuntu.

The other ones that I have used and am interested in are not geared towards new users, so you might have to wait for some other opinions suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

I heard you can toggle between Gnome and KDE on startup with Fedora. Is this true?

Beans

I heard you can toggle between Gnome and KDE on startup with Fedora. Is this true?
    Not only with Fedora, but with any distro.

You can even toggle in Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, etc.etc

Beans

i would go with arch linux. I am not sure if you have heard of it but it is very fast, lightweight and once is set up "just works". Yes it does take a bit a learning but if you go through the beginner's guide then you will be fine. If you want something that works out of the box, go with OpenSuSE KDE. 11 comes out in a few days and apparantly is great (i really liked previous versions).
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast