Thread: Setting up a headless computer

Beans

Setting up a headless computer

I have an old computer and I would like to use it as a headless computer/server to back up my data. I have never done something like this before so I need some advice on how to get started... Some links to good tutorials would be great, too. thanks!

Beans

Re: Setting up a headless computer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miraceti52 View Post
    Reeeeeally old guide... wouldn't use it anymore, and ftp is insecure anyway.

I suggest you install using an alternate install cd, and get it to install without any gui, cli only. (obviously you need a monitor and keyboard for this)

Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    You'll then be able to ssh <address>, from any other machine on your network, where <address> is its ip, viewable from ipconfig.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

ok, thans. is it really that easy? no pitfalls? will this work with a wireless connection? the network is using dynamic ip addresses for the moment, maybe i should setup a static ip or is this not necessary?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

if you don't setup static IP you'll have to figure out first on what ip the server runs...

And wifi runs if the card is directly supported... if not you'll have to see if you can find drivers/work arounds.