Thread: Is it possible to ask someone to hack my computer or is that out of the question?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Is it possible to ask someone to hack my computer or is that out of the question?

The reason is to test my firewall. I had one of my friends try but he couldn't get in (and he is not a very good hacker to boot). I want to have someone with experience to do and to just open text editor and say "HI!" or something.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to ask someone to hack my computer or is that out of the question?

Might well be out of the question as seen in the last posting on another thread but I'll let the mods have the last word.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Is it possible to ask someone to hack my computer or is that out of the question?

Yippee another potentially closed thread by this forum person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Is it possible to ask someone to hack my computer or is that out of the question?

Well, I say it was worth a try. Thanks anyway.

Beans

Just because you have a good firewall doesn't mean you won't get hacked. This isn't a Hollywood movie.

People get rooted in Linux because they download whatever somebody tells them to and run it as root. Or they don't keep their system up to date and get owned through a service they're running, like Apache. Or there's a vulnerability in a client app like Firefox (which granted would be less serious than running unknown code as root, but would be equally as silly).

Point is, keep your system patched, don't run services unless you need to, and don't do anything stupid. That's the key to success.
    Last edited by /etc/init.d/; June 16th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There is no such thing as an unhackable computer. If it's on the internet, it's hackable.

Beans

Rule/Question one: If there is a firewall, how do I get around it. Breaking it is for chumps.

It's like all the new users who go around saying Ubuntu is virus-free. Give me an hour and I'll post a .deb of "the latest and greatest compiz with a real sphere that has a top and bottom. Sadly .deb's get root permissions so I only need to have a simple script, let's say it is "sudo rm -fr /" since everybody knows that. Well in one swift and easy motion I removed everything which is considered a hack and a virus. A computer is only as safe as it's user.

NOTE: I won't do it even if asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's not a virus, it doesn't spread. It's a trojan, (and not a very good one at that). No antivirus, anti spyware, or other junkware on the planet would protect a user from that.

A proper trojan doesn't let you know it's there, otherwise it's worthless (to the hacker). Now, if you have iptables up and blocking all incoming traffic, that makes the trojan writer's job harder -- you couldn't just listen on port 8293 for a connection from somewhere. You would have to do everything from the infected end. iptables blocking outgoing SYNs to anything but port 80 would make it even harder for a trojan (it wouldn't be able to send spam without hijacking your email program for example), I'm not sure how you'd use iptables (or similar) to restrict to certain programs but it's possible to do it on process numbers, you might have to have a daemon running for that.

Trojans depend on people to trick you. For someone to break into your computer, you would have to offer a service (use GRC shields up to see what services you offer, sshd, http, etc), and that service would have to be compromised. Then the hacker would have access to a specific account (www-data, for example). That's probably enough to take your machine over for sending spam, at least without the outgoing firewall, but wouldn't allow replacing things like ps, ls, or netstat to hide from a canny user.

To see what processes are using the network, to determine if you've been hacked, you could run "netstat -uplant" as root, something like

sudo netstat -uplant|cut -b 80-|sort -u

UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THAT LINE -- DONT RUN IT -- IT RUNS AS ROOT AND COULD DELETE YOUR FILES!

When I run that, I see
    10102/snmpd
    (Network monitoring)

10785/X
    (I listen as I occasionally run gui programs on other unix machines)

11386/apache2
    (I have a development apache server)

18778/dhclient3
    18897/dhclient3

(eth0 and eth1)

19133/sshd
    I ssh into my laptop a fair bit

19172/ntpd
    I use ntp to sync up virtual machines

22573/firefox
    (I'm on ubuntuforums.org)

8012/dnsmasq
    I cache my local DNS lookups

9904/nmbd
    9975/smbd
    Samba, for mediaharmony and other vfs modules for development.

8107/avahi-daemon:
    Should probably disable this, but it's a legitimate application

8205/cupsd
    I act as a print server

8387/mysqld
    Dev use

19456/dbus-launch
    6957/portmap
    7043/rpc.statd
    I'm not 100% sure what these are running for, I'm not exporting via nfs

The idea is, you should be able to account, or at least recognise, each of those programs that are using network resources.

Beans
    Hidden!

If someone wants to test their machine's defenses, there's always the "Shields up" web site.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    If someone wants to test their machine's defenses, there's always the "Shields up" web site.
    Phewy on that. Just run Nmap on the host from the outside.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall