Thread: [SOLVED] run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

Beans

Question [SOLVED] run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

Guys,

Is it possible to run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" while we are not connecting to internet ??

Please advice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

Quote Originally Posted by bapaknyaAnak2 View Post
    Guys,

Is it possible to run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" while we are not connecting to internet ??

Please advice.
    nope. you'd have to get the packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and install with dpkg.

edit: but you need to download the packages from internet, of course. so basically there's no way to get packages from the net without being online, you know.

Beans

Actually, you should be able to if said package is included on your Ubuntu cd and you have the CD enabled as a repository. That said, someone I was trying to help the other day didn't have any success with that, but the command I think is
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    followed by a
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's possible to run it, you'd just get an error

Like the post above - you'd need to download them from that site, or you could check out APTonCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi. Another option would be, if these applications are not in the Live CD or the Alternate CD (which you can then install by adding the CD as a repository), then you need an internet connection to download them--though you don't need to necessarily use your system.

Open Synaptic and mark the packages for installation, as you would normally do if an internet connection was available. Then go to 'File->Generate package download script'. Name the file whatever you like and save it. You can then move or copy that script to a USB device, go to another machine with an internet connection, and run the script, which will proceed to download the packages and the necessary dependencies.

Once you have the packages, move them to your Ubuntu system, again open Synaptic, and go to 'File->Add downloaded packages'. You'll be able to install them then. This solution has the added benefit of not having to search for the dependencies yourself.
    NOT a morning person...

Beans

Unhappy Re: run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

What I mean was something like, we download the file and save it on to hard disk, then execute it afterward without being connected to internet.

I am sending this post from my "neighbor" computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using synaptic just check download files only in the window that pops up after you have clicked apply, then click apply again. When you move the files to your own computer just double click mtools first and gebi should pop up and allow you to install it, then install syslinux.

Jim

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

Guys,

DONE. It was easy. I did what RomeReactor said, just try to get the link of the files requested on internet. Go, to the link and downloaded the files and save it on my USB. After that just simply double click on the downloaded deb files and that's it.

Thank you for help guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] run "sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools" offline

Glad you sorted it out You can mark your thread as solved from "Thread Tools" at the top of this page