Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTP. FileZilla. Friend's house 10 miles away. Possible?

Beans

Re: FTP. FileZilla. Friend's house 10 miles away. Possible?

Okay. I bounced back to using FileZilla just to keep it consistent, since I'm using FileZilla on my XP laptop to test this. Plus, call me crazy, but it seems much smoother to tinker with and make changes. But whatever.

Anyway, I set up FileZilla to use a range of 20 ports, then I logged into my router and forwarded those 20. However, the "test" for those ports still failed. It said the PORT command was tainted by my router or firewall. No firewall here.. just using a router.

I tried to connect from my laptop to the desktop anyway, and it failed.

Maybe I'm an idiot. So be it. I know FTP is simple to set up according to what I've been told, and that's all well and good. But to be point blank, I would like to get this set up. So any constructive help that can be thrown my way, I'd greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

filezilla's ftp server is for windows only. if you want an ftp server in ubuntu, you will have to use something like proftpd. if you set up your ubuntu computer with proftpd, your friend will be able to use filezilla in order to connect to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Probably knew someone was going to say this, however Id definitely go for ssh, winscp for file transfers anyday over ftp, filezilla. If you need windows only, do the cygwin/openssh server along with the winscp client. FTP might seem at first easier (ok maybe it is), but gives you little security benefit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    filezilla's ftp server is for windows only. if you want an ftp server in ubuntu, you will have to use something like proftpd. if you set up your ubuntu computer with proftpd, your friend will be able to use filezilla in order to connect to it.
    Good tip.

But I wonder why it's giving me trouble when I run the test to scan the ports I forwarded...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Good tip.

But I wonder why it's giving me trouble when I run the test to scan the ports I forwarded...
    try looking here: http://www.proftpd.org/localsite/Use...nked/x862.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12