Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BleachBit?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question BleachBit?

What options should be checked in Bleachbit as admin & normal & which should be run 1st?

Thanks.
    Genuine Intel® CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz × 2, Ram 2 GiB, Sony Vaio Resolution 1680x1050.
    Intel® 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
    Broadcom 802.11b/g

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: BleachBit?

If you use bleachbit as root then it can clean the "junk" from your filesystem which as normal user is not possible because of permissions.

As to what you should clean, Well that is personal IMO.

I use bleach bit as root first and usually I clean up everything except memory (since it is an experimental feature). And when cleaning as normal users I don't clean my thunderbird passwords.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: BleachBit?

great program use it all the time. just read what each does and check what you want.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

I advise to avoid Bleachbit entirely. Do your cleaning safely:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...sproject/clean
    Last edited by Pjotr123; January 2nd, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Tips, tweaks and how-to's for Ubuntu and Mint:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject
    In for a pleasant surprise? Give Xubuntu a try:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...roject/xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    I advise to avoid Bleachbit entirely...
    +1 - Excellent advice IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yezinki View Post
    I agree Ubuntu doesn't need to be cleaned works unlike windows...
    Why do you keep posting questions about Bleachbit when you agree that it is not necessary to "clean" Ubuntu?

You are more likely to break your Ubuntu installation by using Bleachbit than "improve" it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    I advise to avoid Bleachbit entirely. Do your cleaning safely:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...sproject/clean
    Nah, the risk is exaggerated. I have been using bleachbit since 10.04, never has a problem. Apart from the advice about scripts that automatically install stuffs that link is overly cautious, it is like telling people to not to go out after sunset lest you may get robbed, or not to go out at all. It is fear monegring IMO. You run considerably more risks in breaking your system by upgrading your OS through update manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post

You are more likely to break your Ubuntu installation by using Bleachbit than "improve" it!
    How? Example please? Have you actually broken your system with bleachbit or just FUD? Have you actually used bleachbit at all? Just don't use the experimental features (e.g clean memory) and you should be fine.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; January 2nd, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    ...Have you actually used bleachbit at all?..
    No, I most certainly have not! IMHO, there is no justification for installing such software on a Linux system. Linux systems simply do not need "cleaning" in the way some other OS's do. OTOH, running tools such as BleachBit, especially as root, could delete files that are desirable for system functionality.

I have been running pure Linux systems for around ten years now and have never had systems slow down or break due to an accumulation of "junk"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Zill, in my opinion, you're both right and wrong.

You're right, absolutely, about bleachbit being 'unnecessary.' Linux by definition and design does NOT need to be cleaned like that. It's a journaled FS like OS X, but handles everything much better and will never, ever slow down due to accumulation of junk. Windows on the other hand, prefers about 30% free space on the installed HDD, where you can run into problems (as I have, though rare enough not to worry). Even OS X and BSD don't handle a desktop as well as linux I don't think. I've had more problems with Mac anyway, mostly just incompitence in simple operations. So yes, Linux does NOT 'need' to have it's own version of CCCleaner and truly won't ever slow down on behalf of accumulation.

BUT, you're wrong I think in the assumption that it won't improve anything. Bleachbit has the functionality to see EVERYTHING you will delete if you run it, and most of it is bash cleaning and autoremove (though deborphan is better for that). If you can isolate and whitelist system files, you will never break your system. I've ran bleachbit every kernel update or upgrade for half a decade on various linux boxes and have never noticed a problem. To ME however, I'm limited in space. I have 2 SSD's at 120GB each, one with Windows 7 and the oher with ubuntu as my most used box. I have a LOT of stuff on there, mostly rosetta stone, VM's, and a couple other large WINE programs and need the free space. That's what bleachbit does for me, and it overwrites the free space when deleting a decent amount of space, rather than a simple delete (where blocks are not truly deleted).

I'm all for bleachbit, but I FULLY agree that it's completely unnecessary. I need the space, and I like overwriting free space after a mass of torrents or something like a game, or failed WINE project, anything more than 10GB or so. If you don't like bleachbit or don't use it, good for you, as I know full well you don't need it. Linux is just that cool. BUT, you can free up a TON of space if you re-write and overwrite a LOT. I use it and have used it without a problem for a long time, without ever whitelisting a single file. It does seem o have the potential to screw things up as root, but I've never, ever even came close to that. The developers designed it that way.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast