Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I get Pitivi Plugins?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Where can I get Pitivi Plugins?

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    Yeah. PiTiVi does not have any existing transitions/plugins at the moment. This is not about "no one wants to admit it", it's publicly known. I mean, this is the first time I see such a thread, I have followed the PiTiVi mailing list and I don't remember anyone asking about this before today. And this is not because they're being dishonest, it's because they are still concentrating on getting the basic feature set done. Until that is done, there are no transitions or stuff like that (but it looks like development should speed up soon, since Brandon was hired (full-time maybe?) to give some serious love to PiTiVi now).

They still need as much help as they can get, so if you want to learn programming Python (which is pretty much the easiest language around), consider joining in the project, and they will gladly help you get started.

In the meantime though, PiTiVi is nowhere near being ready for general video editing. I speak as a former hobbyist video editor (doing silly films with Vegas Video).
    I agree. What is the point of having pitvi? You can't import any clips and when you try to edit a video, it says it doesn't support files of that type even when I save it as nearly every video file that exists.
    |_ _| _ _ __ __ / | / | ( _ )
    | | | | | | \ \/ / | | | | / _ \
    | | | |_| | > < | | | | | (_) |
    |_| \__,_| /_/\_\ |_| |_| \___/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by Tux118 View Post
    I agree. What is the point of having pitvi? You can't import any clips and when you try to edit a video, it says it doesn't support files of that type even when I save it as nearly every video file that exists.
    Did you install all the gstreamer plugins? Pitivi's possible codecs are based on the Gstreamer libraries.

The best way to go is to open synaptic package manager, search for gstreamer and select & install any necessary plugins you need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tux118 View Post
    Do not use anything older than 0.13.1. Apple and oranges.

And make sure you have all the gstreamer plugins installed (and not the Fluendo plugins -- see the new 0.13.2 experimental manual for a lengthy explanation on why)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi, I have also been looking for plugins for Pitivi, the fact that Pitivi (currently) has such an easy-to-use interface (as compared to LIVES and Cinelerra) makes it worth checking out and following its development.

I have the most recent version (0.13.2.3 from the PPA) on Ubuntu, but, sadly, still no transitions/effects.

I'm happy to say that all my formats are supported (WMV, all the mpeg(1-4), AVI, flv (a rarity, and IMO, necessary), and more!)
    However, what's confusing to me is that, the only WMV file that works that I've tried so far is a rendered clip from my File Share on Bungie.net (Halo 3).
    Anybody have any idea as to why?
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Too bad the development isn't going as planned. The pitivi website still gives no accurate planning of when the plugins for transition/effects will be given, only that it will come someday. I guess if plugin support is created we still will have to wait for the actual plugins themselves.

In some version (0.13.x) on some day this will come...hopefully...

See the planning: http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Roadmap. The scheduled date for version 0.13.2 is in the past so probably this website isn't updated very often.

I am using 0.13.2.3 from the PPA, but it's hard to test because you can't really do what you want to do without transitions/effects & titling. This is a musthave for modern video-editing.

I am hoping that all development as described on the roadmap will be quickly. Only then Pitivi has a nice bright shining future lying ahead!

Beans

However, what's confusing to me is that, the only WMV file that works that I've tried so far is a rendered clip from my File Share on Bungie.net (Halo 3).
    Anybody have any idea as to why?
    The answer is, "it depends". There are so many fscked up things about windows media video, not even starting with the fact that it's a closed/proprietary format from Microsoft, who were not so friendly in allowing open source software to (de)code wmvs.

Don't use that format unless you really have absolutely no choice. This is not a good format for editing.

Too bad the development isn't going as planned.
    Delays happen, especially when there's so much stuff to do and stabilize. Just look at the progress done in terms of stability and usability fixes in the past few months. I counted over 1200 commits in the master code branch in the past few months.

Development is proceeding steadily. They just need to get the basics done right and rock-solid before implementing stuff like effects and transitions (although yes, this has been pushed back several times already, from April to "sometime this fall"). One of the things that needs to be carefully implemented (and rigorously tested) in order to have transitions, compositing and effects, is "video mixing".

Edward started implementing videomixing last week, but it was judged too experimental at the time to be merged in the master branch (and so it will not be in the stable release that will come out in the next few days). I agree with him, I prefer something that is stable and tested than something that creates incorrect output.

PiTiVi has a lot going for it. Although it is less flashy than other editors because it doesn't yet have transitions/effects, it makes up in ease of use, stability and formats (my personal opinion, but also from the feedback I received from various users, including Alan Pope).

I'm still regularly poking Edward so that he prepares his server to allow me to upload a brand new website, but he's insanely busy with PiTiVi, as always. The new website is ready, but its publication has been delayed many times too. Delays happen, but progress is steady. I can live with that

i guess if plugin support is created we still will have to wait for the actual plugins themselves.
    You are probably right. Unless the devs have enough free time to implement additional features as plugins. The plugin infrastructure will probably need some work before that's possible though, I am not sure. But then, when you think about it, the whole idea about a plugin architecture is that it's there to encourage third-party contributors to quickly write new features (instead of having the main devs do everything)...

See the planning: http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Roadmap. The scheduled date for version 0.13.2 is in the past so probably this website isn't updated very often.
    The wiki roadmap/readmes/releases/etc. are updated when a release comes out, basically.

So, for effects and transitions: yeah, we know, and they are high on the priority list, just be patient. If they are not being implemented, it's because there are issues that are even more important to solve first (for stability, etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just hope that they get everything implemented before the end of this year. Right now I'm using Kdenlive for video editing, and while it itself is a great, relatively easy-to-use application, I don't like using KDE apps in GNOME (for the fact that 1.Their KDE colours don't look good with my Metacity theme and 2.IMO they don't work as well as native GNOME apps).

I just hope that Pitivi's interface doesn't change much, because I love it how it is, maybe they could implement a sidebar like in WMM, but I just don't want Pitivi to end up looking like LIVES or Cinelerra (I hate their UIs).

As for WMV files... I should have known they weren't open-sourced, Microsoft is very anti-open sourced about everything, that's why you have to patch Vista/XP to use themes with them instead of Microsoft just including a theme editor within the OS itself.

If not for the Xbox 360 and Games for Windows and other Windows-exclusive applications, I'd very much be anti-Microsoft right about now.
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN-118 View Post
    I just hope that Pitivi's interface doesn't change much, because I love it how it is
    I am currently trying to think of a way to clean up the toolbars arrangement, but at the same time keep the same level of usability and discoverability. Not an easy thing. But other that, I don't have big UI changes in mind (as their main UI freak).

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN-118 View Post
    but I just don't want Pitivi to end up looking like LIVES or Cinelerra (I hate their UIs).
    Don't worry about that; not a chance it hell, not while I'm alive and kicking

As for WMV files... I should have known they weren't open-sourced
    Of course they are not open in any way, whenever Microsoft creates a format, it's to lock-in their users or kill a competitor (in this case, Real networks with realmedia). If they cared the least bit about open source and open content and users' freedom, they would use opendocument by default in office, ogg theora/dirac/ogg vorbis/flac/ by default in windows media player/movie maker, and have an internet browser that is not complete crap that breaks the standards and stiffles innovation, etc. The list goes on. They could have done that years ago, but it obviously goes against their business model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    Yay new website is up! http://www.pitivi.org/
    Looks good! A little too much on the inside jokes and sarcasm though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast