Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what was your inspiration?

Beans

Re: what was your inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by linux noooob View Post
    I'm glad I didn't see that video. It would have put me off Linux. Ugly and pointless!

I wanted more control over updates than I got with Windows, so I switched to Ubuntu. I've happily hopped between distros and have settled on Slackware and NetBSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Virus. One of those nasty ones where you have to run a diagnostic program, attach it to a bulletin board and hope that some nice person can diagnose your issues out of the dozens posted that day. Frustrating that doing your best to keep your nose clean (virus checker, running malware scanners weekly, keeping away from the "dark side" of the internet) was no longer good enough.

Boredom. I've always liked tinkering with computers since I was a kid. Had an entire day with nothing to do, I had heard that Linux had improved rapidly with hardware drivers over the previous few years and of course, the dream of being virus-free was extremely compelling so I gave it a shot. First Knoppix, then Ubuntu Hoary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What inspired me is that I like to tinker and I happened to stumble upon Ubuntu and ordered it. I tried a dual boot but ended up messing my MBR up. At the time, I didn't know that you could fix it so I said "screw it, I am going with Linux" thus, now I use Ubuntu. I love it but I do miss XP hear and there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My laptop is my "work rig".
    I do stuff for college, programming and other "serious" tasks.
    Windows became unstable and slow, so I decided to switch to Linux and since I've already had Ubuntu in VMware for 2+ years I decided to completely switch to Linux.
    ...and then it was good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A Finnish friend of mine (a few years back, 4 or 5) told me about it, before which I'd only really heard of it in passing, and had been using a VM with debian in it (rarely, but it was there). He told me about it and then I decided to install it, which I did and I've used it for the past 4 or 5 years, just recently moving over to ArchLinux.

Basically I switched over (to Linux from windows, my reasons for switching to Arch was just because I was curious )because I was looking for a challenge and something new to play with, I've always been interested in computers (both breaking AND repairing ) and thought I'd try it because it seemed cool. Also, my PC (at the time) wasn't a powerhouse at all, it would lag incredibly in XP when doing a bit of multi-tasking, so Ubuntu was a relief. Anyways, my inspiration was my willingness to learn and the fact that I was looking for a challenge, and that I wasn't completely unknown to Linux at the time. Oh, and it took me a few years to join these forums, mainly because a) I didn't need to ask for help, used Google a lot though b) I didn't really know about them and c) I didn't think I could do much for the people posting questions yet, so I decided to wait until I knew a bit more, and well, here I am. Happy UF member since April 28th, 2007

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This was another reason I switched. Linux is so fast compared to when I had windows on this machine. I was amazed at the speed of which things loaded, shut down, etc... the boot time was actual 175% (or something around there) faster than that of windows. I <3 you Linux <_<

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was bored with windows.
    I got tired of spyware and viruses.
    After switching to firefox I became more interested in open source.
    Saw screenshots of compiz.
    Built a new desktop and didnt want to pay for the OS.

Beans

Smile Re: what was your inspiration?

Sheer curiosity.

I didn't have any viruses or spyware, and my computer, however old and rather weak, wasn't exactly crawling under Windows.

I was just curious about Linux, and that was the reason to dual-boot first, and to completely switch, a while later.

I still dual-boot my desktop pc... but there's plenty of space there, so I'll just leave it like that.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I got bored with ******* and was also tired of shelling out money for it,so i googled "free OS" from that point i was hooked,about a month later i started using ubuntu 6.06. I have used ubuntu ever since

Beans

Well. I came upon Ubuntu in quite a different way. I was using the Qemu emulator on my mac. And there was a menu that said Download OS from oszoo.org. Among them were openSUSE, and Ubuntu. I think it was Hoary Hedgehog. I never thought of the idea of a free OS, I questioned the security and reliability of something you didn't pay for.

But was I wrong. I headed over to the ubuntu website and downloaded the .iso. When I read about having ubuntu on the macbook as well, I instantly installed it with boot camp. Ever since then, it's been installed on many computers, reviving many from the dead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123