Thread: Where from to start??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Where from to start??

I'm a Computer Engineering(Freshman) under University of Pune.
    We'll be introduced to "Data Structures using C" next semester. I want to develop Linux & contribute to Ubuntu Development. Luanchpad projects & Google SOC are my priorities right now.I hope to complete atleast one personel project, contribute to Ubuntu or other Launchpad projects, participate in google SOC by the end of my 4 year Degree & other open Source projects.

I want to start small personnel projects right after my next term.

What should i learn along with Data Structures(C) in my next semester??
    What Languages are important??
    How much will I be able to develop only knowing my University Course for Data Structures?
    Where to get E-Books from??
    Any other tips??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Where from to start??

Read the stickies above.

Beans

not that I necessarily advocate this kind of thing but ......

if you want ebooks, there's always a certain swedish electronic alcove where seafaring mercenaries meet up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by loneowais View Post
    What should i learn along with Data Structures(C) in my next semester?? What Languages are important??
    alongside statically typed language like C, learn dynamic language like Python for quick projects where you are more concerned about productivity than CPU resources. See wiki in my sig. Python is also main language for ubuntu development.

wikipedia and wikiversity have plenty of links, as have sticky FAQ. Check if this one is there: http://mindview.net/CDs/ThinkingInC/beta3 and if not, make comment to LaRoza about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    alongside statically typed language like C, learn dynamic language like Python for quick projects where you are more concerned about productivity than CPU resources. See wiki in my sig. Python is also main language for ubuntu development.

wikipedia and wikiversity have plenty of links, as have sticky FAQ. Check if this one is there: http://mindview.net/CDs/ThinkingInC/beta3 and if not, make comment to LaRoza about it.
    Also, Python (et al) allow you to see the use of data structures as they are built into the language, so making them in C is more tangible.

I will check out that video, it looks interesting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loneowais View Post
    What should i learn along with Data Structures(C) in my next semester??
    What Languages are important??
    How much will I be able to develop only knowing my University Course for Data Structures?
    Where to get E-Books from??
    Any other tips??
    Data structures are language independent. C is often used for learning them because C doesn't have many inbuilt datastructs (besides a struct, union and array, which are simple)

All language are important. For data structures, I would recommend using C and an OO language for learning them (Python, Java, etc are OO)

It depends on project how much you can develop.

My wiki has data structures section (small, but it should lead to good info)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

give Perl a try.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site