Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't connect to the internet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't connect to the internet

If you are connecting directly to the modem you may need a crossover cable between the computer and the modem. Belkin crossover cables are yellow (at least thats what color the local staples sells). If you are trying it with a straight cable that may be why you are having trouble connecting.

My advice is to connect the router back up and make sure that it is getting an ip address from the internet provider. Depending on who manufacturer is you can access the router management interface with your web browser, get your freind to dig out the manual for their router and it will tell how to access it, if your friend dosen't have a manual, it is also located on the cd that came with it.

JIm

Beans

im having the same problem at right now. just mine happend outta no ware didnt change any setting nuttin just logged off of wow and aim to go out to eat. didnt even shut off computer left it on and came back to get on. and well i wasnt connected... if u fix it let me know
    sorry about bad grammer and spelling i know i get flagged all the time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

SUCCESS!!!

I ran an ethernet cable from the router to the laptop, typed in the terminal command...

Code:
     sudo update-pciids; lspci grep Ethernet
    and I'm online! I'm currently installing updates and will post again to let everyone know the status of wireless browsing. Cheers all around!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Huzzah, everything works! As I wrote in the previous post, wired internet is working. All I had to do after that was run updates (System->Administration->Update Manager for newbies), then I opened 3rd party drivers (System->Administration->Restricted Drivers Manager) and enabled the newly installed wireless driver. After that, everything was a go!

Thanks to everybody for the help. This thread is SOLVED!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12