Thread: DVD playback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

DVD playback

I'm having problems with DVD movie playback. Apparently my system mounts the DVD, as the icon pops up on the desktop, but when I try to watch the movie it says "an error occoured, cannot read from resource". I can browse the the DVD files, so this is most likely a problem with totem. I have no clue on why, or how to begin troubleshooting. =/ Help?

My system is a Gateway c-141 XL convertible running Ubuntu 8.04 with a 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM. Don't really know if this is relevant.

Beans

Re: DVD playback

Why don't you run thru this and then ck. playback. Will also add vlc - you may like it better as player. If after you don't have playback start vlc from the terminal and post any error messages
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=828342

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I had this problem so I ran this command and it fixed it:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

Beans

Have you installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras package? If not that should be your next step. Do that and things will probably work. If you still have trouble you will want to add Medibuntu as a repository, and then install libdvdcss2. If you aren't sure how to do any of this run a search on the forums here, and you will find plenty of tutorials. Good luck.
    Hardware: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlon 64 6400+, 4 gigs DDR2, nVidia 9600GT, 1.5 TB HD storage
    Software: Linux Mint 7 x64, Kernel 2.6.31

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Why don't you run thru this and then ck. playback. Will also add vlc - you may like it better as player. If after you don't have playback start vlc from the terminal and post any error messages
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=828342

Thanks a lot, this helped.