Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] When I insert a music CD nothing happens.

Re: When I insert a music CD nothing happens.

Did you install the codecs?
    Last edited by Sef; June 14th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by alienexplorers View Post
    Noted something new. When I was trying to play the music cd I was using my DVD/CD Player drive. I tried it in my old CDR/CDRW Burner and it worked. This is strange!!!!
    Maybe your DVD drive is malfunctioning. Can you use other media in it?

Otherwise, there may be some misconfiguration that doesn't let those programs automatically access that drive as an audio CD player.

forestpixie Guest

For your second question, yes it is enabled.
    If that's the answer to
    check box for Never prompt or start on media insertion - is that enabled?
    then it needs to be disabled
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forestpixie; June 14th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sef, Yes I have all codec's installed

ChameleonDave, Yes the DVD drive works fine with data disk and the ubuntu install disk.

forestpixie, my media menu is setup exactly the same as yours is.

I think it may be a problem with the disk so I am trying to reburn it again as an audio cd to see if it fixes the problem with playing it in the DVD drive.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Took the data disk I used to burn the first audio cd that did not work in the dvd drive and used it again to burn a new audio disk. This time after it was done burning I put it in the dvd drive and rhythmbox started right up. Something must have happened to the original audio disk since it worked when I first made it. Well looks like the problem is solved. Thanks to everyone for there help. Next time I will reburn a new disk before getting on here and acting like a dumb ***.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's interesting that although the disc was faulty, it did work OK in the CD drive. Only the DVD drive choked on it. This implies that the DVD drive is less error-tolerant.

I have found the same to be the case with mine. DVD drives seem to slowly get buggier and buggier over their lifetimes. I've had to get new ones before.

forestpixie Guest

Next time I will reburn a new disk before getting on here and acting like a dumb ***.
    Always good to take your daft head out for a drive from time to time

for instance - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519482

I've had problems before where a new drive spat out a disc constantly - tried a really old drive and it was fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12