Thread: 32bit vs 64bit OS

Beans

32bit vs 64bit OS

I just built a new PC. Core 2 Quad, 4 Gig RAM... Want to exploit the 64bit goodness of the CPU and be able to use all 4gigs of the RAM. A year or so ago the 64bit versions seemed like a real hassle. Have things improved to the point that it's worth installing the 64bit version now?

Thanks,

jeepfreak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 32bit vs 64bit OS

Yes, I've had no issues running 64 bit for a while now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have 64bit Hardy and the only thing I can't do well is access some Java applets such as the Facebook photo uploader.

The only hard things to install 64-bit are flash, which can be installed with Kliz's tutorial, and java. OpenJDK, which is based on java can be installed through the repositories. For more information on it, click on the 'Java on 64-Bit Systems' link below.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak2002 View Post
    I just built a new PC. Core 2 Quad, 4 Gig RAM... Want to exploit the 64bit goodness of the CPU and be able to use all 4gigs of the RAM. A year or so ago the 64bit versions seemed like a real hassle. Have things improved to the point that it's worth installing the 64bit version now?

Thanks,

jeepfreak
    It has improved bigtime. I would recommend it to anyone with your spec.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think to install flash I just installed nspluginwrapper, then I installed libswfdec (not 100% sure of that package name), and then flashplugin-nonfree.

Works fine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I think to install flash I just installed nspluginwrapper, then I installed libswfdec (not 100% sure of that package name), and then flashplugin-nonfree.

Works fine
    For flash I just installed Ubuntu Restricted Extras and the package manager did the rest.

Beans

64 bit rocks. I tried it about three months ago, and would not go back unless my processor didn't support it.
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had an issue with that (flash didn't install properly). So I just reinstalled it manually

Beans

thanks so much.... I may just go ahead and take the plunge...

I use Cedega to play Guild Wars. Are you able to run a 32bit app in a 64bit OS? Gonna check now to see if a 64bit version of cedega is available.