Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording with Audacity

Beans

Unhappy Re: Recording with Audacity

Hi all, I'm just a newbie to LINUX and am using Mint with Gnome and KDE; (I think).Sorry if I've come in the wrong way.
    Audacity poses a problem for me that I can't find a thread to.
    Recording is fine once I worked it out, saving is fine, playback is skipping as in speeding up then normal then speeding up, etc.
    It plays back on all platforms the same way.
    When recording the playthrough sounds great.
    My only thought is that when the input spectrum jumps at the end of the window to accept the recording in real time, it somehow changes the recording.
    All settings look all right and I am using a NVidia card as it is the only one that works. My Realtek doesn't respond to the system.
    Can anyone help with this please as I don't want to use windows anymore.

Thanks Rayce

Beans

Re: Recording with Audacity

After much fiddling around with different settings, I finally got Audacity to record and the level meters showing. I am recording from the headphone out on my home stereo into the front mic on my PC. After getting a song from an album recorded, when I try to play it back I get the error message: "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate." I read a different post where the user got the same message on trying to playback something they had recorded in Audacity, but said that pre-recorded songs played back fine. So I imported a pre-recorded MP3 and tried and got the same error message. Any ideas on this?
    Jeff

Beans

Angry Re: Recording with Audacity

ARRRGGGHHH! After last posting, I went back and tried to play an MP3 with the regular media player (which had been working) and, alas, no sound. So, I tried a movie that had had sound and, again, no sound. And I don't remember all the moves I made trying to get Audacity to work. Any way to go back to default sound settings? Help, pleeeeeeeze!
    Jeff

Beans

Never mind, I found what I had changed. I need to stay off of here and quit bothering people until I experiment around some more. Although I still can't play anything back in Audacity. I still keep getting that error message.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    EDIT: I guess I don't have quite the identical problem. The original poster is using Line input. I am trying to do a sound card capture. Hope you don't mind my posting here. Will post elsewhere if you think it's too confusing.

OK, going down the list in the Welcome page:

1. Recording Device
    ALSA: default[/b]. Changing device to
    card 0: I82801BAICH2 [Intel 82801BA-ICH2], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801BA-ICH2]
    doesn't work either. That's what I get from the aplay -l command.

After flipping back and forth a couple of times alternatively with the Device Toolbar and the menu I get

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate." Sample rate is correct: 44100 (default).

Closing window and opening a new one gets rid of error message but not the problem.

2. Input source
    There are instructions for Windows and Mac, but not Linux. The Mixer Tool has no dropdown selector. I think that's a clue It has an input volume control. Turning that up has no effect with either input device.

3. Input volume
    (Side note: all the blue links are inactive. The Linux version needs some work here.)
    EDIT: I think the following paragraph on monitoring is irrelevant.

A. Enabled monitoring. Double-clicked to right of meters and/or clicked on drop down menu. Usual result: Two red bars, followed by the above error message. Clicked on the little monitor drop-down selector. I get one of two results. Either I get the error message above or Audacity CRASHES. And I can duplicate the crash.

B. Working through the Wiki troubleshooting guide, the last step describes the problem but not the solution:

Linux-specific issues, #6: "The recording device you currently have selected on the Audio I/O tab of the Preferences only has one input source, and so there is no choice that can be made. Many USB and Firewire Input/Output devices fall into this category." This is sound card capture, not USB or Firewire.

It works in Windows, so the hardware is fine. What am I doing wrong?
    Audacity is the only program I've got that I can't get sound on playback. I kept getting that same error message. Then a friend asked if I was using any other apps that might be keeping the sound at a certain sample rate like Firefox or anything. I had been keeping Firefox up while trying to figure my problem out, so I could check the forums and all, so I closed it and tried Audacity again, just playing back an mp3 that I had opened with it. Still no sound but the error message didn't come up. Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I recently got my line-in working :

---> right click Volume applet (that is the loadspeaker icon where you change the volume)
    ---> Open Volume Control
    ---> Edit
    ---> Preferences
    See if line-in and microphone are checked.
    Thick Input Source. That gives a new tab (Option) in the Open Volume window where you can define the capture device for the Input Source.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12