Thread: S-Video out on Compaq nx9105 laptop

Beans

S-Video out on Compaq nx9105 laptop

Hi,

Really annoying problem. I have an old HP Compaq NX9105 laptop (running ubuntu 8.04) that I want to make into a media center. I have it all working except for the essential s-video out. This works fine in the XP duel boot so I know the output is ok.

All the other keyboard shortcuts work ok - fn-f3 opens a website for instance and fn-f7 dims the screen, but fn-f4 should switch to s-video and it does absolutely nothing. I've tried changing screen resolution as per another post suggested but that did not help.

Any suggestions very gratefully received as I'm tearing my hair out here. I really don't want to have to use XP media center but at the moment thats looking like the only resolution

Compiz is installed and working if that might make a difference? I should also add I have the nVidia driver properly installed as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance

Stephan
    Last edited by Vel0x; June 14th, 2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addition

Beans

Re: S-Video out on Compaq nx9105 laptop

Well I managed to take it a little further but I don't think it helps me much. I installed nvidia-settings and managed to get twinview working but it's no good for watching media as it makes the laptop too sluggish.

Beans

Re: S-Video out on Compaq nx9105 laptop

Well kind of managed it. Again using Nvidia-settings I disabled the monitor screen altogether and just set the TV as the one and only display. It's not ideal as I would have still liked to be able to use the laptop elsewhere without having to reconfigure it each time but it's better than nothing!

If any bright spark knows how to get the screen switch button to work would still love to hear.

Cheers

Stephan