I have figured out a way to setup Sopcast and VLC such that multiple streams can be openned and closed in mass and effortlessly. After setting up, clicking on a sop:// URL from your browser will start the stream and VLC, and quiting VLC will get that stream automatically killed.
Without further ado, here's how:
- Install sp-sc-auth and VLC, if you haven't already.
Code:sudo apt-get install vlc wget http://download.sopcast.org/download/sp-auth.tgz tar xzvf sp-auth.tgz sudo cp sp-auth/sp-sc-auth /usr/bin/
- Install my 'sopcast' script, check https://launchpad.net/sopcast.sh for new version
Code:wget http://launchpad.net/sopcast.sh/main/0.6/+download/sopcast.tar.gz tar xzvf sopcast.tar.gz sudo cp sopcast/sopcast /usr/bin/
- Configure your browser to handle the sop:// protocol,
- for Firefox, go to the URL 'about:config', right click and chose New -> String, put 'network.protocol-handler.app.sop', then value "sopcast",
- for Opera, go to Preferences/Advanced/Programs -> Add, then put 'sop' in Protocol and 'sopcast' under Open with other application.
- Point your browser to http://www.sopcast.com/channel/chlist.jsp or http://www.myp2p.eu/ for lists of streams. A single click would open the stream after 20 seconds.
If you prefer mplayer or something else, do this
If you have problems, open browser from a terminal and you will see error messages.Code:sudo sed -i 's/vlc/mplayer/' /usr/bin/sopcast