Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloobus, a QuickLook for linux

Beans

Re: Gloobus, a QuickLook for linux

Hi Loomsen

Thanks for you instructions! when I started with gloobus I dindn't know so much about linux, and didn't know anything about pakaging. I'm learning it now, and I tried to update gloobus version to a common package name.

First, note that there are two diferent packages in gloobus, gloobus itself that is the coverflow, and gloobus preview, that is the preview function that is launched when you press ctrl+c - ctrl+space (I don't know how to make it to configure automatically)
    Or thanks to kitkat patch to nautilus, it can be launched just pressing space.

So now, the version I'm working on is gloobus-0.4 and gloobus-preview-0.4, so I think, after reading your post, that it should be gloobus-0.4-1 and gloobus-preview-0.4-1.

As you can see, the first versions 0.0.2 and those strange names now are not developed anymore, it was using a very diferent architecture, and in 0.3 I started it again from 0.

I looked at your specs file in launchpad, and there are some SDL dependences that are used by the 0.0.2X versions, now are no longer required.

That name is because of deviantART, it changes the name, I will upload the gloobus-0.4.tar.gz and gloobus-preview-0.4.tar.gz in launchpad so it can be download as in any usual package.
    and of course, if you find something else to change, please let me know that I'll change it!

Thanks a lot for you help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I'd just like to chime in and say a big thanks for this project.

Gloobus Preview provides functionality that I dearly missed from Mac OS X, when using Linux. It speeds up my workflow and makes the whole work experience more pleasurable.

I'm compiling nautilus now, so that I can launch it with Space. Big thanks to the patch author as well.

Beans

You're welcome!

I'm glad you like it!

Beans

Yes, I've seen that 0.02 and 0.03 are obsolete but just after I already finished writing the spec.

I'm gonna take a look into 0.4 when I find some time this week and let you know then.

And yes, it would be important to have a commonly accessible location for the source as for example rpm can download the source based on the URL in the specs file.

So, thank you for fixing this. I'll let you know about 0.4 spec when I'm done.

*edit*

@gloobus / gloobus-preview

Actually, it shouldn't be split into two packages, this would only cause unnecessary clobber.
    Either create a subdirectory for preview, or, if they use the same files anyway, just leave it.
    An application may register more than one binary, gajim for example installs
    gajim (#the main app)
    gajim-remote (#to act with gajim using dbus for example)
    gajim-history-manager (#used to browse history logs)

This would succeed the dependency of gloobus related to gloobus-preview, and you can easily integrate this in your source for new functions or so.

The main directory of your source should include Makefiles and configuration files, the README for installation purpose and the INSTALL for the same purpose.

Then there should be a doc subdirectory for instance, holding the documentations for the program itself. And so on, I'll have to take a closer look at the source and I'll propose some dir structure.

gajim might be a good example as it's available for any distribution, and it's maintained on TRAC.

http://trac.gajim.org/browser/

Use apt-build --source (I think it was in debian) to get source packages from your apt-repos.
    This will download
    foo.src.tar.gz.orig
    foo.src.tar.gz.diff
    and the source to build itself, tho I'm not too sure cause I haven't used debian for a while.
    But it shows how packages are usually maintained and with my example above you should figure out I think
    However, sources are version bumped for main release versions, and patched for release versions.

antiright for example

It's appropriate as an example. Or grab the gedit source or some basic app and look at it.
    Last edited by loomsen; August 31st, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Loomsen,
    Thanks for you really good explanation,
    I'll take care of all your suggestions, and try to make it as standard as possible, next thing I'm gonna do is rename the source files cause now they have not a standar names at all. (I've reported a bug in launchpad)

About the docs folder, I should create the docs for gloobus cause if I stay some time out and then I come back to the project, I need to spend some hours tring to figure out how it works again.. but as you know, creating a good docs take a lot of time and I prefer coding, anyway, I'll try to use one of those apps that create the docs automatically (Do you know a good one)

I've just downloaded the pakages you mentioned and I'm gonna take a look to them to see how it is structured

Regards,

Beans

Hi,

here's a draft.
    http://omploader.org/vMjk4OQ

I wrote comments into the Readmes in each folder.

It's by no means complete, but should give you a base to start from.

I'm gonna contribute as far as possible.

Beans

Hello.

I'm gonna take this thread to inform you what I'm currently doing so we can keep in touch.
    You may add me in jabber if you have it. If not there's a link in my sig how you can set it up for another IM protocol like ICQ, so you won't have to get it for these purpose only.

However, the current was to set the shortcuts binding is rather rude and set it to command_1 no matter if this is set already. I wrote a little while loop to check for unset commands and take the first unset slot to set the binding.
    *edit*
    Corrected both, postin and postun
    Proper postint and postun scripts should look like
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## pre installation
    i=1
    _A="/apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_$i"
    while [[ "`gconftool-2 -g $_A`" != "" ]] ; do 
    	i=`expr $i + 1`
    done

echo "`basename $_A` is unset yet, will set it to \"gloobus-preview\""
    # doit
    #gconftool-2 -s --type string $_A "gloobus-preview"

_B="/apps/metacity/global-keybindings/run_`basename $_A`"
    echo "keybindings for $_B set to \"<Control>space\""
    # doit
    #gconftool-2 -s --type string $_B "<Control>space"
    and
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## post uninstallation
    i=1
    while [[ "`gconftool-2 -g $_A`" != "gloobus-preview" ]] ; do 
    	i=`expr $i + 1`
    done

echo "Unsetting $_A "
    # doit
    #gconftool-2 -s --type string $_A ""

_B="/apps/metacity/global-keybindings/run_`basename $_A`"
    echo "Unsetting keybindings for $_A"
    # doit
    #gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_`basename $_A` "disabled"
    Something like that. I have command 1 set to compiz deskmenu, so I wouldn't appreciate it if it was overwritten.
    */edit*

docter[~/tmp/tests] sh while-test-gconf.sh
    command_2 is unset yet, will set it
    docter[~/tmp/tests]
    *edit-2*
    Here are the patches:
    postinst
    http://omploader.org/vMjk5OQ
    prerm
    http://omploader.org/vMjk5YQ

apply with
    patch -p1 postinst < postinst.patch
    patch -p1 prerm < prerm.patch

This would bump 0.4.0-1 to 0.4.1-1

*final edit*
    And here's the spec file included the source package I built it from.
    Still for documentation purpose, and I couldn't test the package yet neither cause I currently don't have a test OS setup, but I'm gonna go for it the next few days.
    I named it 0.4.1-1 but please don't release or try to do anything with this package, it's still only a draft.
    Please look at it and read the files i included too bad. This is no replacement for the example package above, which basically is targeted on how the development directory structure could look like.

And this package only packs the binaries, would be nice if you could open all source files (maybe following the structure from the package above or so.)
    Hope this gives you an idea what could, will and might be of importance if this project happens to grow further.
    http://omploader.org/vMjlhaA
    Last edited by loomsen; September 2nd, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Beans

Hey!

I'm gonna apply the patch right now, of course this is really a better version, It is a solution for the people that don't want to use the patched nautilus that launches gloobus with just pressing space.

I've a jabber account, is a gmail account but in pidgin I can use it without any problem my account is j.hernandezp at gmail dot com

Right now I'm changin the names of all source files to make them more standard, I'll do something like this

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gloobus/+bug/421846

When I get it done (I have to change all source files, makefiles etc..) I'll release the pakage, binaries with source, trying to follow the standars.

Anyway, I would like to contact you before so you can help me if something is wrong!

Thanks!

Beans

Could you set a ppa repo for the gloobus packages?
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davim View Post
    Could you set a ppa repo for the gloobus packages?
    Thanks
    Tualatrix helped me setting one up:

https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/gloobus

Its not complete, but its a start

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast