Thread: Moderators should use more moderation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Moderators should use more moderation

Maybe we should try to resolve this problem- some moderators seem to be abusing their authority by moving or closing threads just because they don't personally like the particular topic of discussion, not because it violates a particular forum code of conduct. Case in point- LaRoza closed a thread called AWAG (Anti-Windows Activist Group), by Lord Xeb, and left the following comment/reason: "Please keep posts meaningful." On the same page were the threads "Hey guitar players let's chat," and "Dumbest thing you've heard from a non-linux user". I would argue that these threads were just as meaningless, or meaningful, as the AWAG thread. The members chatting on the AWAG thread were enjoying the discussion, and were not using inappropriate language, nor were their posts offensive. So what's going on? Should we use more moderators to oversee the moderators? I would also argue that closing a thread without justification is a metaphorical slap in the face of the thread's participants, and moderators should have a very good reason when then do so. Here is the forum's policy on closing a thread:

Thread Closing:
    If a thread has run it's course and posts have begun repeating themes a thread may be closed - if possible, announce that the thread has run it's course before closing so that people may add closing statements - don't forget to thank all users involved in the discussion. If a thread has become a situation where people are simply too personally involved in the issue a thread may be closed and / or jailed. If a thread is a duplicate of another thread, it may be closed (please provide a link to another open thread on the same topic.) It is always a good idea to post an explanation in a thread that is closed.

I think that anyone who reads the AWAG thread would agree that the moderator who closed the thread did not follow the above guidelines. The thread may have been silly (and it was), but that's not reason enough to close it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Moderators should use more moderation

Personally I have found the moderators to be fair and unbiased, but none of us are perfect. If you look at the thread starters info page there are 96 threads 1 solved and a couple, at least 3 closed very little thanks or thanked, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Moderators should use more moderation

sometimes things get mishandled because while the mods may sometimes seem godly they are still human and every once and a while make mistakes. We do however have a system in place to fix this. If you have a issue with a decision by a mod you can make a post in the conflict resolution center and another mod or sometimes several will look at the situation and can open up a thread again if in their opinion it shouldnt have been closed.

EDIT: In my opinion the AWAG thread should not have been closed. It was in section of the forum that is reserved for threads of its nature. I would see justification in moving it to OPP but closing I dont see that.
    Last edited by tamoneya; June 14th, 2008 at 04:50 AM. Reason: adding additional thoughts
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

IMO the mods do not close threads at will. They are most likely brought on by reports. In this case I would tend to agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If there's one thing that really annoys me in Linux centric forums it's puerile MS bashing.

Forget Windows, ignore it and just enjoy Linux.

In my opinion LaRoza was right to close that thread and I would be happy if all MS bashing threads were routinely closed.

Beans

I think it would be interesting if we could vote mods out of their mod powers or vote in new mods. Nice little counter balance don't you think?

I got a silly infraction a while back, and I argued with the mod about it, and when I got him he just ignored me. It was funny.

Beans

if you have issues with a moderator , air it in the proper channel by posting in the resolution center not in forum feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    if you have issues with a moderator , air it in the proper channel by posting in the resolution center not in forum feedback.
    Seriously, this is the truth.

The thread in question was closed for a reason. For those of you who have issues with specific moderators (or even wish to "vote them out"), please make your case in the Resolution Center. Vague accusations and calls for "moderation" are completely counterproductive: there are no specific instances of abuse to evaluate on its merits.

If you want a completely different forum, start one.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JAPrufrock View Post
    Maybe we should try to resolve this problem- some moderators seem to be abusing their authority by moving or closing threads just because they don't personally like the particular topic of discussion, not because it violates a particular forum code of conduct. Case in point- LaRoza closed a thread called AWAG (Anti-Windows Activist Group), by Lord Xeb, and left the following comment/reason: "Please keep posts meaningful." On the same page were the threads "Hey guitar players let's chat," and "Dumbest thing you've heard from a non-linux user". I would argue that these threads were just as meaningless, or meaningful, as the AWAG thread. The members chatting on the AWAG thread were enjoying the discussion, and were not using inappropriate language, nor were their posts offensive. So what's going on? Should we use more moderators to oversee the moderators? I would also argue that closing a thread without justification is a metaphorical slap in the face of the thread's participants, and moderators should have a very good reason when then do so. Here is the forum's policy on closing a thread:

Thread Closing:
    If a thread has run it's course and posts have begun repeating themes a thread may be closed - if possible, announce that the thread has run it's course before closing so that people may add closing statements - don't forget to thank all users involved in the discussion. If a thread has become a situation where people are simply too personally involved in the issue a thread may be closed and / or jailed. If a thread is a duplicate of another thread, it may be closed (please provide a link to another open thread on the same topic.) It is always a good idea to post an explanation in a thread that is closed.

I think that anyone who reads the AWAG thread would agree that the moderator who closed the thread did not follow the above guidelines. The thread may have been silly (and it was), but that's not reason enough to close it.
    You need to read the entire COC. You have quoted one part of the guidelines to staff.

Staff will edit for content in order to maintain the image of the forums and to keep discussion sensible and in the case of the thread in question non FUD.They have the authority to move, edit , close or delete threads and can do so with or without consultation.

I believe the Modertor acted according to the COC and the closure of the thread appropriate.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Moved to Resolution centre
    This account is not active.