Thread: [SOLVED] Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post [SOLVED] Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

Hi,
    Has anyone got this laptop?
    It looks great value. Its a pity its got Vista on it. Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu? I'd like to be able to dual boot it with Vista.
    Thanks.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post Re: Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

If nobody knows if the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi is fully compatible with Ubuntu, then what are the cheapest lapstops out there that are fully compatible with Ubuntu?
    Thanks.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

Re: Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

I have the AS5315-2122 laptop and Ubuntu installed fine. I did have to install driver packages to get the wifi and sound to work. Also, the suspend function does not work right. I am in the process of searching for an answer. I have a dual boot with Vista as well.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone got this laptop?
    It looks great value. Its a pity its got Vista on it. Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu? I'd like to be able to dual boot it with Vista.
    Thanks.

Beans

Re: Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

I bought an Acer Aspire 4720Z a few months ago and I installed the newest version of Ubuntu on it very recently. I must say I was impressed with how simple it was to configure the WiFi after reading a thread on here. I'm still trying to get the sound to work properly though. The thing is that the volume wheel on my laptop controls the speakers (which is quite nice) but when I plug in headphones the speakers still play unless you mute them. Other than that everything seems to work great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: [SOLVED] Is the Acer Aspire 3105WLMi fully compatible with Ubuntu?

My Acer Travelmate is about 95% compatible. I have some keys that do not work right, but every thing else works fine. The laptop has had Ubuntu 6.10, 7.04, 7.10 and now 8.04LTS and it works great.
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.