Thread: Can't Set Correct Resolution In Virtual Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can't Set Correct Resolution In Virtual Windows

I'm running Windows XP in VirtualBox, on Kubuntu 8.

My screen resolution is 1440x900 and is working correctly in Linux.

Virtual Windows, though, only gives me 2 resolution choices: 800x600 and 1024x768. So the virtual machine runs in a small window.

How do I force Windows to use 1440x900 whether it wants to or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can't Set Correct Resolution In Virtual Windows

Do you have guest additions installed? You need it before you can get high screen resolutions in Windows guests. There should be an option to install guest additions under one of the file menus of the window showing your virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Do you have guest additions installed? You need it before you can get high screen resolutions in Windows guests. There should be an option to install guest additions under one of the file menus of the window showing your virtual machine.
    Guest Additions are working- the icon shows up in the windows system tray, and mouse integration is functioning correctly...

Beans
    Distro

In that case I would look at the settings of the Windows virtual machine. Make sure Windows is using the right driver for your virtual video card. It might be defaulting to the generic driver for some reason. Go into Device Manager and see if you can update the driver. Also what's the name of the virtual graphics device according the Device Manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In that case I would look at the settings of the Windows virtual machine. Make sure Windows is using the right driver for your virtual video card. It might be defaulting to the generic driver for some reason. Go into Device Manager and see if you can update the driver. Also what's the name of the virtual graphics device according the Device Manager?
    in Device Manager-> Display Adapters: "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"

Under monitors, it says "Default Monitor". If i try to update the monitor driver, it goes back to "default monitor"

Beans
    Distro

Try putting the virtual Window in fullscreen mode (right control-f) and then tell it to automatically resize (right control-g). Does it help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try putting the virtual Window in fullscreen mode (right control-f) and then tell it to automatically resize (right control-g). Does it help?
    Yes, as soon as i hit ctrl-G, the windows resolution choices changed to include 1440x900. strange....

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I remembered that I needed to do that once to get it to go into full screen mode properly. At least it works now.