Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some DVDs mounted as "blank"

Beans

Re: Some DVDs mounted as "blank"

for burned dvd's make sure they are finalized
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I think they're finalised. Otherwise it would not work in the DVD player in the lounge. Also, if they were not finalised, I'd be able to import the open session into K3b and similar burning programs.

Beans

how many dvd players you have in your house may I ask?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Not sure how that's relevant, but as it happens we have two - both in the lounge - one of which we don't use because the remote control has been lost and it doesn't do much without one. I used the phrase "in the lounge" to differentiate between the DVD drive in my computer and the standalone player connected to the TV.

Beans

Well, it seems to be fixed, but I'm not sure exactly what did it. Things I have done include:

- modifying the /etc/fstab so that the final line reads
    Code:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user=ivman 0 0
    (YMMV especially with regard to the first entry, i.e. the actual device location in your system)

- restarting kded (in the terminal, *not* as superuser) and then the kde mediamanager (from System, System Administration, System Services)

- deactivating "autostart after mount" (System, Peripherals, Storage Media, Advanced)

- clearing out some space in my Kubuntu root partition, including the use of various tips listed here to remove unneeded packages and identify space-hogging files

- rebooting the machine

I have a horrible and inexplicable suspicion that it was the last two steps that did it, although I can't work out quite why that would be.

Beans

I am having this same problem. Issue started as soon as I upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid. Disks read fine on my laptop (also running Intrepid). DVD's play fine on my DVD player and PS3. Tried updating FSTAB as mentioned above to no avail. Funny thing is only certain DVD's have this issue, and only dvd's I've burned since installing Intrepid. All DVD's burned using Hardy read fine.

All of the DVD's that have this problem have been burned using Brasero. Something I've noticed that is funny is that the disk doesn't eject after burning on the disks this happens to. If the DVD ejects right after burning they always read fine. Brasero always reports the burn was successful, even if it doesn't eject after burning. Thinking this is a finalization issue, but it doesn't make sense that they read fine on all other DVD players if they aren't finalized. This is happening on about half the DVD's I burn. Totally stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by opogon1; November 14th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12