Thread: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia G-Force 6-series?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia G-Force 6-series?

I just got a box full of used parts. Among the ruble were two video cards labled "NVidia G-Force 6-series" and "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256". I'm not familiar with either card. Both did boot up on a test machine. What are the pros and cons of these two cards under Hardy? I'm planning on putting together another box for my kids. I'm more of a CLI guy myself so I've not kept up with all the video cards out there.
    Be wary of strong drink.
    It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss.
    ---Lazarus Long

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia G-Force 6-series?

Quote Originally Posted by Sami_Sdata View Post
    I just got a box full of used parts. Among the ruble were two video cards labled "NVidia G-Force 6-series" and "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256". I'm not familiar with either card. Both did boot up on a test machine. What are the pros and cons of these two cards under Hardy? I'm planning on putting together another box for my kids. I'm more of a CLI guy myself so I've not kept up with all the video cards out there.
    Hi and I like both cards but for the easier to configure I would stick with the nvidia card. If the kids will be playing some games, nvidia 6000 series would be better IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia G-Force 6-series?

go for the nvidia card, Those cards are from different generations.