Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Change the default usplash colors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Change the default usplash colors

Quote Originally Posted by SilentCacophony
    That color looks a bit olive-drab to me, similar to gperfection2, I think. Not an uncommon choice in colors. I'm adding another version in that color scheme, since you asked nicely. I didn't get that one to quite match the text color intensities of the other ones, but it's close.

Anyway, it is a bit tricky keeping the palette correct. I had trouble finding an image editor that handled limited-palette images like these in the way which I needed. I couldn't seem to get The Gimp to do much for me, so I resorted to an old copy of PaintShop Pro to do the pallete-swapping. I'll have to explore The Gimp a bit more, as I like that the best of any linux image editors I've found.
    Ahah! I guess that's why all my efforts went to no avail. I tried to do the whole thing with GIMP. Thnx so much for this. I love this color. Funny thing too, because I have always been more akin to blue for as long as I could remember. It wasn't till my first experience with Linux that I actually tried out a few nice green themes (Glider colored green and Clearlooks-GNOME)

I really appreciate your efforts. I've got to compile a large tutorial recounting all my choices of wallpapers and themes and stuff to make my desktop green some time. Next up on my agenda is the Login splash, and the little ubuntu icon in the top left that just appeared after switching to dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I did mine.. an istitutional one.
    enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usplash-artwork.png 
Views:	732 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	3230  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MrRoboto; October 28th, 2005 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

didn't work for me, when I do the dpkg-reconfigure it doesn't find any images so I have no image for usplash, rats!!! I'm including a screenshot.

Last edited by veloct; October 30th, 2005 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by veloct
    didn't work for me, when I do the dpkg-reconfigure it doesn't find any images so I have no image for usplash, rats!!!
    Hi. AFAIK, there should be no problems as long as all steps were followed correctly.

Anyway, the original image should still be there. It's best to copy and paste so that there is no chance of typos. If you copy-n-paste each of these lines into a terminal, it should restore the original:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-default.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

That just reconfigures it back to the old file.
    Last edited by SilentCacophony; October 30th, 2005 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

nope, is still saying "splash image - none found -" when reconfiguring.

Sorry for the image being so big

Last edited by veloct; October 30th, 2005 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by veloct
    nope, is still saying "splash image - none found -" when reconfiguring.

Sorry for the image being so big
    [snip]
    Actually, it is talking about grub's splash image. That has nothing to do with usplash whatsoever. The splash image it is talking about is the image that is shown behind all the text when you boot and can choose which kernel or OS you want to boot from. Have you even tried rebooting to see if you can see your splash? Give it a try.

The only reason that you have to do that step is to regenerate the initramfs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

EDIT - dude2425's post above may explain it, so I'd explore that first.

That's odd. I don't see anything in your commands that would be a problem, except possibly the fact that you ran the second gcc step twice for two different ouptut files, but I don't really think that's the problem.

The first two lines following the dpkg-reconfigure look as if dpkg-reconfigure may be acting oddly, but I wouldn't know why it would do that.

If it were me, I might try adding the --force option before the linux-image, but the manpage advises that it could be risky to use that option, so beware.

In any case, if all else fails, I would think that purge-removing (sudo apt-get --purge remove usplash) and re-installing usplash should restore it.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but I've no knowledge of problems with this.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you SilentCacophony for this HOWTO! I would have never figured this out myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

A quick HOWTO for making your own usplash in the GIMP:

1. Make a new image 640x480.

2. Go to Dialogs>Palettes and create a 16 color palette with your choice of colors and name it Ubuntu Splash. Make sure the following are in the right order (remember, index 0 is the first one):
    Code:
    Palette Index | Used For
    -----------------------------------------
    0             | Background color
    0             | Text background color
    1             | Progress bar foreground color
    2             | 'Ok' text foreground color
    4             | Progress bar background color
    8             | Description text foreground color
    13            | 'Failed' text foreground color
    3. Now that you've done that, go to Image>Mode and select Indexed. Select "Use Custom Palette" and select Ubuntu Splash.

4. Make it look how you want it to, and save it as ubuntu-artwork.png in your home directory. Taking it from there, you can start at step 3 of the original HOWTO (assuming you've installed the necessary packages). Make sure that you don't delete the original ubuntu-artwork.png if you want to keep it around!!

Edit: I figured I'd attach mine in case anybody likes a lot of dark green like I do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usplash-green.png 
Views:	641 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	3402  
    Last edited by endersshadow; November 7th, 2005 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

SilentCacophony, thanks for this nice HOWTO. Ubuntu is nice Linux distro, but default colour (brown) is realy not for me. You saved my day (and usplash that I wasn't using for a while).

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast