Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine 1.0-rc5 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Wine 1.0-rc5 released

yea i actually (used to) use steam friends as my primary messenger, so.. i guess i just have to wait T_T any ideas when 1.4 be coming out?
    ITS PEENUT BUTTER JELLE TIME!

Fixing most issues with ati drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's taken 15 years for 1.0 to come out and while I wouldn't expect another 15 to pass before 1.4 is released, it will probably be quite a while before we see it. The Wine devs haven't announced any kind of definitive release schedule, as far as I know.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Do you actually use the Steam Friends functions? Other than that, the rest of Steam does work fine.
    Other than crashing all the time when I try to download and install Counter Strike through steam. Downloading CSS works. Performace could be better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

wow, typo here..i meant to say 1.2, but i think that doesnt make any difference.. guess gotta pack the bags and move back to windows T_T i mean, the steam friends issue existed ever since steam came out.. and there are a lot of people who are looking for cure for it. wine crew should have fixed it by 1.0 T_T

offtop: i dont think it would take THAT long for them to update wine.. it took them 15 years to make a software from scratch! now they have the software ready. all they have to do is fix some stuff in it.. also, windows 7(which will be coming out in about 2010) will use vista kernel, so as soon as they make vista-only games/software to work, theyll be loaded up till 2014
    ITS PEENUT BUTTER JELLE TIME!

Fixing most issues with ati drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have a question, what is wine 1.0s real aim? Is it to make every platinum application work in wine? or is it to get those now 4 programs (word,powerpoint etc) working flawlessly?
    system specs: amd athlon 64 phenom 9500 (4 cpu´s) 2.2ghz Asus M3A motherboard Nvidia Asus 8800gts 512 320gb harddrive 2gb corsair ram ubuntu 8.04
    Use the thanks button if someone helps you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by thefishki345 View Post
    I have a question, what is wine 1.0s real aim? Is it to make every platinum application work in wine? or is it to get those now 4 programs (word,powerpoint etc) working flawlessly?
    the latter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think the Wine devs would be surprised at how many Steam users actually use (and want to use under Linux) the friends chat system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thefishki345 View Post
    The point of a stable release (as opposed to just doing continual beta releases) is to fix all known regressions. The Wine team itself can only personally test a few applications (those four), however fixing any regression bug that users find was also a major part of the release. That's why Wine had things like the Platinum Regression Hunt.

Additionally, when the next stable release of Wine comes out, users will have some assurance that there will be no regressions between them.

The question, then, is how often to do this freezing and regression-hunting. As of now there is no set plan, though as an Ubuntu developer I would prefer a time-based release system for Wine so each new Ubuntu release could have a new stable Wine. For 1.0, Wine decided on what is essentially an arbitrary date - Wine's 15th birthday. For 1.2, we're still deciding whether to pick another arbitrary date, to start a consistent cycle, or to just wait until we have "enough" new features and do it ad-hoc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12