Thread: copy problem with creative zen vision:M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

copy problem with creative zen vision:M

i know i created another thread, its kinda irrelevant now

ok, i downloaded and installed libmtp and mtpfs, and got it to work quite nicely. i mounted my zen and copied it over, but it only got so far before it stopped and said there was an error while copying. i am new to linux, so does anyone have any tips about where to start debuging?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: copy problem with creative zen vision:M

I had the same problem when first copying music over to my Creative Zen. I solved it by only copying over three or four albums' worth at a time, letting those copy, then clearing the queue and going on to the next batch. It's a pain, but they all copied over that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

yeah, i guess i'll have to do it that way

i was hoping there was a way to stop the errors.

oh well. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey,

How did you mount your zen? I'm having absolute hell trying to mount mine - I can't automount, and although I'm adverse to messing with fstab I have no idea how I specify the zen for the mount!

Cheers

hoatu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

this may be a little late, but you download both mtpfs and libmtp, which you can find using synaptic, after you've installed them, create a directory to use as a mountpoint (it usually has to be empty unless you use options) and then use:

lsusb

in the terminal to make sure ubuntu knows the zen is connected. if it is, use:

mtpfs <mountpoint directory>

i use a directory called ZEN in my home dir, so i use : mtpfs ./ZEN
    and that should mount it just like any other local disk.

you shouldnt have to restart after installing mtpfs, but if it dosent work, that may be a good place to start.

it works, but its not problem free, i've found problems with unmounting and copying large ammounts of data.

EDIT:
    i found a bug report detailing the same thing(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tp/+bug/181977), and the report said it didnt happen under command line, like cp, so i think i'll be doing that
    Last edited by coreofreeality; June 30th, 2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added info