Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De-esser plugin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: De-esser plugin

Quote Originally Posted by warbread View Post
    Have you tried just dropping the volume by 6-7 dB on the ess? It's not pretty, but I've read that works.
    You mean by using an equalizer on the ´ess´ freq? That would take out 5.5K-6.5K, thats where a part of the definition of his voice is.

I just want to compress the 5.5K-6.5K freq´s above some threshold, any tips?
    Since Warty

Beans

you could use jamin as an insert but for a realtime effect, it is not best, it introduces some latency and is very CPU hungry. But you could isolate the track in ardour, process it through jamin used as an insert, export the result in a file, reimport in ardour with the rest of the session.
    Jamin is quite cool, it has three freq domains, each has its own compressor and you can graphically set the region boundaries in the freq spectrum. So you can define a very narrow region using the mid-freq band, leave the low and high freq bands uncompressed, and apply the mid band compressor according to taste.
    Last edited by thorgal; June 16th, 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What troubles are you having with the TAP de-esser? Is it not loading into Ardour, or is the effect not drastic enough / what you've desired? Here's the official documentation: http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/ladspa/deesser.html
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Stochastic View Post
    What troubles are you having with the TAP de-esser? Is it not loading into Ardour, or is the effect not drastic enough / what you've desired? Here's the official documentation: http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/ladspa/deesser.html
    I´ve read the docs, didn´t help. I can load it in ardour, but it doesn´t work. If I put the threshold on -50dB the attenuation meter wont bite.. It just doesn´t work..

@thorgal:
    Thank you for the jamin bandcompressor tip, didn´t think of that. I´ve used jamin before, a lot. Gonna try it
    Since Warty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by roaldz View Post
    I´ve read the docs, didn´t help. I can load it in ardour, but it doesn´t work. If I put the threshold on -50dB the attenuation meter wont bite.. It just doesn´t work..
    Really? I tested it on my system and it works. Do you have the bypass enabled (I know stupid question, but you never know)? What output do you get from
    Code:
    apt-cache policy tap-plugins
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12