Thread: My school project: Linux multimedia production workstation

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking My school project: Linux multimedia production workstation

Hey you guys,

My teacher at school saw how cool ubuntu is, and wants me to build a multimedia workplace based on Ubuntu. I was thinking about ubuntustudio, but that´s not enough. I need good hardware. What kind of hardware do you recommend?
    I´m doing an audio-engineering study, so keep that in mind when you post your suggestions. I was thinking about a raid config with a quadcore CPU. Any better ideas? Everything is welcome.

edit: oh yeah, i´m using a c2d 2.0ghz - 2.0g ram - nvidia 7600go in my laptop, and I keep getting random hangs. i want to avoid hangs, linux can NOT crash whem i´m representing it at school.

Roald
    Last edited by roaldz; June 15th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Since Warty

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: My school project: Linux multimedia production workstation

Best bet, if it MUST remain stable, install 7.10 rather than 8.04. In two or three months most of the major upgrades to 8.04 will likely be done, and it will be a more stable system, either that or use Slackware.

As for hardware, look up all the things for really good gaming. The newest nVidia's are nice, but check to make sure they will run fill tilt with the drivers Ubuntu has or the latest beta drivers from nVidia. I recommend, if you have the money, getting a single small SSD for the OS and use the raid array for storage. It would improve opening times of the big multimedia apps.

Leo

P.S. Don't forget to show off the cube! Even if it is not practical, it looks darn cool.
    The angels have the phone box!

Beans

Raid and quad core both sound good. I don't see how you could lose out with more power. I use the m-audio 24/96 for my sound input, and I can't sing its praises enough. Also make sure it's quiet. Like, dead silent.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by warbread View Post
    Raid and quad core both sound good. I don't see how you could lose out with more power. I use the m-audio 24/96 for my sound input, and I can't sing its praises enough. Also make sure it's quiet. Like, dead silent.
    Hey, good tip on the noise factor! Thank you.

I tried to make a post, but I had to give up, because my screen froze again..
    Since Warty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any chance you could post a little case study of your installation/setup/system design/etc.. online somewhere? It'd be nice to read through, and show others.

As for suggestions, I'd say test out a few different installs first (64Studio, PureDyne, UbuntuStudio, etc...) and figure out which one is the most stable/appropriate for the box you want to present (could be done all at once with various partitions). UbuntuStudio is definitely the prettiest and arguably the most beginner-friendly of the audio-distributions, but some claim it's not the most stable.

I'd also suggest taking stock of everything in the workstation, working out your total price-point for it, then calculating both what an equivalent closed-source workstation would cost, and what an equally priced closed-source workstation would include (or, more importantly, what it would not include).
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.