Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Need Help With Xv Driver

Beans

Re: Need Help With Xv Driver

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

Does Totem crash as well? As it uses Xvideo by default also, as does VLC etc.

Does it crash when SMPlayer's audio output is set to PulseAudio?
    No the videos can be played in totem and vlc, they just don't play well (I probably don't have the right codecs installed). I also have no problems using pulseaudio with smplayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga-kun View Post
    No the videos can be played in totem and vlc, they just don't play well (I probably don't have the right codecs installed). I also have no problems using pulseaudio with smplayer.

Ah I see, so Xvideo is working. Nice one.

My how-to will install the codecs you needs, do at least part 1 and 2, then see how well playback is. Also, give GNOME MPlayer a try.

Beans

Ah I see, so Xvideo is working. Nice one.

My how-to will install the codecs you needs, do at least part 1 and 2, then see how well playback is. Also, give GNOME MPlayer a try.
    I have already done part 1 and 2, in fact those are they only ones I did. Playback is mostly choppy. Xv with gnome mplayer gives me audio and no video, while gl and x11 can give me both audio and video but the video is a little choppy.

Thank you for all the help you're giving me. I know it's a lot of trouble and I wouldn't be trying so hard if I didn't already know that xv works with smplayer on my pc.
    Last edited by Jenga-kun; July 3rd, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It bugs me that I can't give you a solution. I'm shocked that the new ATI drivers aren't much of an improvent, seeing as I read they fixed bugs related to Xvideo.

Disable the proprietary driver in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and see if Xvideo playback works better with the open driver. If your resolution is low, use the advice in part 5 of my how-to and set the correct resolution.

Beans

It bugs me that I can't give you a solution. I'm shocked that the new ATI drivers aren't much of an improvent, seeing as I read they fixed bugs related to Xvideo.

Disable the proprietary driver in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and see if Xvideo playback works better with the open driver. If your resolution is low, use the advice in part 5 of my how-to and set the correct resolution.
    Ok weird things are happening. I've disabled the proprietary driver and now when I try my videos in totem or vlc they play pretty well, actually they're almost perfect (vlc more than totem; there is some "stuttering" of the frame rate throughout playback). But when I try them in smplayer with the xv, gl, or x11 driver selected my whole monitor blanks out for a few seconds and I'm sent back to the ubuntu login screen.

As for my now low screen resolution, I followed your instructions but I still can't get my resolution back (it's 1680x1050). I put in sudo xrandr -q into terminal and I imput the max resolution it gave me (sudo xrandr -s 1280 x 1200) and nothing changed, all I got was this:
    Code:
    james@james-desktop:~$ sudo xrandr -s 1280 x 1200
    usage: xrandr [options]
      where options are:
      -display <display> or -d <display>
      -help
      -o <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>
                or --orientation <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>
      -q        or --query
      -s <size>/<width>x<height> or --size <size>/<width>x<height>
      -r <rate> or --rate <rate> or --refresh <rate>
      -v        or --version
      -x        (reflect in x)
      -y        (reflect in y)
      --screen <screen>
      --verbose
      --dryrun
      --prop or --properties
      --fb <width>x<height>
      --fbmm <width>x<height>
      --dpi <dpi>/<output>
      --output <output>
          --auto
          --mode <mode>
          --preferred
          --pos <x>x<y>
          --rate <rate> or --refresh <rate>
          --reflect normal,x,y,xy
          --rotate normal,inverted,left,right
          --left-of <output>
          --right-of <output>
          --above <output>
          --below <output>
          --same-as <output>
          --set <property> <value>
          --off
          --crtc <crtc>
      --newmode <name> <clock MHz>
                <hdisp> <hsync-start> <hsync-end> <htotal>
                <vdisp> <vsync-start> <vsync-end> <vtotal>
                [+HSync] [-HSync] [+VSync] [-VSync]
      --rmmode <name>
      --addmode <output> <name>
      --delmode <output> <name>
    james@james-desktop:~$
    And when I tried doing Alt-F2 and inputing gksudo displayconfig-gtk and my password I got no list or anything.
    Last edited by Jenga-kun; July 3rd, 2008 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Is displayconfig-gtk installed?
    Yes it is.

Beans
    Distro

What did you mean when you said there wasn't a list? I don't think I've known anyone who couldn't set their resolution with displayconfig-gtk, even if it takes a few tries and they have to change their screen type.

Perhaps Envy will have even newer ATI drivers than the ones in the repo.

Beans

What did you mean when you said there wasn't a list? I don't think I've known anyone who couldn't set their resolution with displayconfig-gtk, even if it takes a few tries and they have to change their screen type.

Perhaps Envy will have even newer ATI drivers than the ones in the repo.
    Great news envyng fixed everything. I've got xv in smplayer and my screen resolution is at 1680x1050. I guess I should have tried that from the start. Thank you for all the help.

Unfortunately I'm still having some problems unrelated to smplayer and xv. One of my problems I think is with the flash 10 beta that I installed according to your instructions. It mainly affects youtube videos. Let's say I'm watching a youtube vid that's widescreen such as a wall-e trailer. I'll see strange distortions around the widescreen video and sometimes in the video itself. I recorded it so ou can see what I mean here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPvSKxhA4bo

I'm also having a weird problem with nautilus. This is only affects a select number of my video files. On some of them when I pass my cursor over them they white out, and when I pass my cursor back over them they come back. And when I right click some of them a whole bunch of files white out, it's weird. I recorded this also and you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9NTsScQFIY

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Those bug fixes I was talking about must be in a driver version that isn't in the repos yet, Envy always has newer drivers.

Several people have said the beta 2 of Flash v10 displays artifacts and distortions, let me try and find the beta 1 for you.

Edit: I think this is the beta 1:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/147304...8.04~mt.tar.gz

If you want a deb, here are the 32-bit and 64-bit packages:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/147306...04~mt_i386.deb

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/147304...4~mt_amd64.deb
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; July 4th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast