Thread: Does 7.10 still receive updates?

Hybrid View

Beans

Does 7.10 still receive updates?

I tried using the latest 8.04 version of Ubuntu, but on my hardware anyway I'm having some problems with it. So, I reinstalled 7.10. Compiled my own kernel (needed to patch a USB issue with not powering off on shutdown), compiled the latest Wine RC, built Compiz, etc etc, and everything is all good.

My question has to do with security patches/updates. I know some stuff won't get updated as they're focusing on 8.04 now, but will "critical" patches still be sent down to 7.10?

I'm mostly just concerned with how viable 7.10 will be till it's completely obsolete. (I was thinking of waiting until 8.10 before another upgrade.. hopefully my issues will be sorted out by then.) My other option was Kubuntu 8.04.. oddly enough that one worked pretty well, minus the Audigy mute thing. (I've yet to find a KDE build that'll mute an Audigy on any distro.. Gnome does it though.. go figure.) I'm just very inexperienced with KDE.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Does 7.10 still receive updates?

You'll get security updates, but I think that is all.

Beans

Good enough. Was mostly worried about critical bugs being patched until 8.10 comes out. (The SSH key thing for example, stuff like that) A lot of the stuff I use regularly I've been manually compiling to keep current. Everything else is in a "good enough state" for me till then.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes it does. Almost every update from Hardy is going to Gutsy. My boss is using Gutsy yet and I`ve just updated his PC.
    ubuntu - humanity for me and for you

Beans

Hi Max, I believe Gutsy will be officially supported for 18 months and Hardy for 3 years (since it is LTS).