Thread: How to install NMIS on Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How to install NMIS on Hardy

Hi everyone,

I am new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install NMIS on Hardy. This task seems/is extremely difficult. I have read the installation instructions but since it’s command line driven, this is where I get lost. I have found some help on this but it way over my head. What I am trying to do with NMIS is monitor some firewalls and also use NMIS for syslogging purposes. I know that I can use a windows based app to do this for me. However, my goal is to be able to use Linux. Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dre

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to install NMIS on Hardy

hi there,
    i have never looked into NMIS, but, what is the issue you are having? is it actually compiling and installing it, or is it the running of the application itself?

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi AJ,

Well - it's actually all. I am following the installation notes from http://sins.com.au/nmis/ and although it's done in RH, I assumed that it should work with Ubuntu. I have never done any sort of installation on ubuntu that would require using the shell, I have used the synaptic package manager to install apps. This is over my head but I want to learn how to do installations.

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

NMIS looks somewhat complicated to install, but not too bad. I have no idea if it works on Ubuntu but I do not see any obvious issue.

Detailed instructions are here :

http://nmis.mric.net/nmis-install.html

Other then that you will need to be more specific. What step are you having problems with exactly ?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I type ./configure all seems well. It's when I do the "make" command that I get the following info.

CONFIG_FILES="" CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h ./config.status
    creating config.h
    config.h is unchanged
    date > stamp-h
    gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -O alloc.c
    In file included from alloc.c:5:
    sh.h:18:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:19:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:20:20: error: setjmp.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:33: warning: conflicting types for built-in function ‘exit’
    sh.h:82:22: error: strings.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:118:19: error: errno.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:124:23: error: sys/file.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:156:20: error: signal.h: No such file or directory
    sh.h:254:5: error: #error cannot find 32 bit type...
    sh.h:351: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘Tflag’
    sh.h:417: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘jmp_buf’
    sh.h:670: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘Coproc_id’
    sh.h:675: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘Coproc_id’
    sh.h:691: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘builtin_flag’
    In file included from sh.h:733,
    from alloc.c:5:
    table.h:14: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘Tflag’
    In file included from sh.h:737,
    from alloc.c:5:
    proto.h:265: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘Tflag’
    proto.h:265: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘Tflag’
    alloc.c: In function ‘aresize’:
    alloc.c:391: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘bcopy’
    make: *** [alloc.o] Error 1

I don't know what to make of this. I have been using the instructions from the first link you provided. I hope this is clear for you, if not please let me know.

Thanks.
    Dre

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First, install as much as you can from the Ubuntu repositories. No need to compile everything from source unless it is not in the repositories.

Second, please, what package are you trying to compile? Most errors occur due to unmet dependencies. If a package is listed as a dependency that almost always means you need the -dev package.

Third, do you know how to compile from source ? did you install build-essential ? do you know how to use checkinstall ???
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am trying to compile (then again don't know if that's what I am trying to do) pdksh-5.2.14, rrdtool-1.2.27 and snmp_sessioin-1.12. I don't know what -dev package is and I have no clue how to compile from source, it's just what I have been reading on the net. Never heard of install build-essential or checkinstall. Sorry, but this is all new to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry for the long delay. To be honest, this is then a large project and you do not have the knowledge.

It is not impossible, it is just that you will need to do a fair amount of reading is all.

First, is there not an alternate solution, one that does not require you to install applications outside the ubuntu repositories ?

Second start here :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement

Then for a how to compile :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...09&postcount=6

OK, so now, start by installing as much as possible from the ubuntu repositories.

If something is not in the repositories you will need to install the dependencies as well, so

pdksh does not appear in the repositories, what else needs to be installed, what are the dependencies ? Install those first ...

http://freshmeat.net/projects/pdksh/

Ok, no dependencies, try installing it, and on down the line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for taking the time. I will see what I can do from here. I will read the links you have provided. Once I get this thing going, I will let you know. Thanks again!