Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel version's don't match after upgrade....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel version's don't match after upgrade....

Last night I ran upgrade to get some of the security updates. As I'm on dial up I do this most nights, run the upgrade then repeat the next night... After updating yesterday it said I needed to reboot, and when I finally got around to it, I get this error:

"WARNING: the kernel version (2.6.22-14-generic) defined in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.24-19-generic) The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path. Please check that /usr/src/linux points to the right tree. The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

However, proper /boot/config-2.6.24-19-generic was found."

And then it obviously doesn't get past this... please help!!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Kernel version's don't match after upgrade....

Please post the output of:

cat usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

How? I can't get it to boot up past the above error... I'm posting off my old desktop...
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Beans
    Distro

Ok. Take that back, I got in with the old 2.6.22-14-generic kernel... its slow and wierd... but when I type that command in it says:

#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132630
    #define KERNEL VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8 ) + (c))
    Last edited by EmilyRose; June 12th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not sure what to do with that.

Probably the best thing to do would be to re-install the current kernel. That should re-define the symlink that is causing the problem.

What is the output of...
    uname -r

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

heh... well erm, how would I go about re-installing the kernel? I'm definetly going to need help with that... would it be easiest to just re-install the 8.04?

... logging in with 2.6.22-14-generic uname-r gives just that... but on bootup grub gives me several options:

Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recover mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic (recover mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic (recover mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recover mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

I havent tried all of them, but I know the default (2.6.24-19-generic) doesn't work, in normal or recovery mode and that 2.6.22-14 does (in either), which is what's supposedly in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h so... yeah.

Oh, umm.. if I were to finish updating the system, is it possible this might get fixed? I could always run into the library and update everything...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can't really upgrade your hardy install from your gutsy install. So I don't think that will work.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so I've found that I can actually get to a the command line in 2.6.24-19-generic... but I don't know what to do in there I think I might be able to upgrade at hte library in 2.6.24-19 too in the recovery mode, but I'm not entirely sure... it'd be worth a try anyhow...

Oh, and I tried er... erasing all the random wierd crap in /version.h (since it didn't seem to make much sense... and this old system has nothing in it)... but it didn't help Still have the same error, though I now get nothing when I cat it Don't know if thats an improvement though...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you can get to the command line on the computer that you want to fix, and the internet is working, then you should be able to use apt to get the right kernel installed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Right.

But, I am unsure of one thing? It looks like this might of happened in the middle of a kernel upgrade.

Your best first attempt at fixing this might be...
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get --assume-yes dist-upgrade

It may complete the hosed upgrade and fix any screwed up symlinks, etc...

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast