Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel version's don't match after upgrade....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel version's don't match after upgrade....

Hmm... well, I'm at the library now, where I *should* be able to get online... however, its not auto-connecting on boot up... and I don't know how to do so from the command line... if somebody can walk me through it, that'd be great. I know theres a proxy server I have to go through too, which I'd forgotten about...
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When you get to a command line, try:

sudo ifdown eth0
    sudo ifup eth0

Hopefully that will get you online. However, didn't you say you were using a dialup modem? If so, it might not work. I'll have to research how you might get online from a dial-up from the command line. It can't be fun.

EDIT: Actually...

sudo pppconfig

...might do the trick. Look at this...
    http://www.debianadmin.com/setting-u...in-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by thomasaaron; June 13th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... well neither pon nor wvdial seem capable of dialing either of the modems i have (one used to work in 7.10, but doesn't in 8.04, the other is a serial modem with usb-serial adapter that didn't work in 7.10, but did in 8.04...)... so i don't know. could i download the updates from this computer and then move them over somehow? Otherwise... what are my choices from here... could i re-upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04??
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try re-upgrading to Hardy with a CD.

Boot into your 7.10 kernel. Insert a 8.04 CD, and follow the directions here...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-764918.html

Best,
    Tom
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

*happy dance*

Ok, so I finally figured out my modem situation - turns out I was using the wrong stinking port (ttyS0 vs ttyUSB0)!! So, once I got that figured out pon worked beautifully! And so, 3.5 hours later, after running both thomasaaron and chamelaondave's codes, I'm back in buisiness!! TONS of thanks to both of you!!

:happy dance:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    Last night I ran upgrade to get some of the security updates. As I'm on dial up I do this most nights, run the upgrade then repeat the next night... After updating yesterday it said I needed to reboot, and when I finally got around to it, I get this error:

"WARNING: the kernel version (2.6.22-14-generic) defined in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.24-19-generic) The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path. Please check that /usr/src/linux points to the right tree. The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

However, proper /boot/config-2.6.24-19-generic was found."

And then it obviously doesn't get past this... please help!!
    Yes, i agree with you .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12