Thread: [SOLVED] shares-admin not working correctly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

[SOLVED] shares-admin not working correctly

when I tried to pull up shares-admin everything is faded out.

when I launch it from terminal. i get the following output:

(shares-admin:6470): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkComboBox.items

** (shares-admin:6470): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6470'

I have samba installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: shares-admin not working correctly

I take it you're on Hardy.

I get the same error messages you do when I launch shares-admin, but it comes up and is usable. Strangely, the critical error goes away though if I don't launch as root.

Not sure if it will work, but you could try to launch with just:
    Code:
    shares-admin
    instead of with gksu or sudo.

Added: also, you need to unlock it with the unlock button at the bottom, then your password.
    Last edited by jetsam; June 11th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Beans

Try:

gksu shares-admin

Edit: Looks as though the person above me JUST posted the exact opposite idea. Mine only works with gksu prepended. Otherwise it asks me to install NFS then quietly fails.
    Last edited by molotov00; June 11th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by molotov00 View Post
    Try:

gksu shares-admin

Edit: Looks as though the person above me JUST posted the exact opposite idea. Mine only works with gksu prepended. Otherwise it asks me to install NFS then quietly fails.
    nope, no joy

here is the output from that code:

(gksu:6543): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no name

(gksu:6543): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no directories

** (shares-admin:6544): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '6544'
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS

Could this be related to this bug?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ols/+bug/33068
    Last edited by underdog512; June 11th, 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Could this be related to this bug?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ols/+bug/33068
    That's a different issue, I think.

shares-admin was pretty much pulled from Hardy because they re-did the Samba gui. It's supposed to still be available from a terminal for backwards compatibility reasons, but it isn't working for you for some reason. Just to add a new twist, it starts for me in Xubuntu Hardy but is pretty much non-functional. Everything is gray and there's no way to unlock it, similar maybe to your problem.

Some people have been replacing it with system-config-samba, which has similar functionality (although it crashes for me if I look at the help menu). You can install system-config-samba with sudo apt-get install system-config-samba, and run it from the menu System-->Administration-->Samba.

The other option is to configure it manually by editing the smb.conf. If you're just trying to set your workgroup name, it's easy. Open a terminal and do these commands:
    Backup the smb.conf.
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak
    Open the smb.conf in gedit with root permissions:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Edit the file in gedit. Find the line (line 27 in the default file) that says workgroup = WORKGROUP and change the WORKGROUP name on the right hand of the equals sign to your workgroup name. Save the file, and quit gedit.
    Restart samba:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d samba restart
    That should do it. You can share folders in Nautilus or on the desktop by right clicking on them and selecting "sharing options."
    Last edited by jetsam; June 12th, 2008 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Some people have been replacing it with system-config-samba, which has similar functionality (although it crashes for me if I look at the help menu). You can install system-config-samba with sudo apt-get install system-config-samba, and run it from the menu System-->Administration-->Samba.

thanks! that worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Re: [SOLVED] shares-admin not working correctly

Launching as non-root and then unlocking works for me (using Ubuntu 8.04) but I still get the GTK error messages. In my case I wanted to use the program to set up NFS shares NOT SMB. I know all it does it edit /etc/export though. Is there a GUI tool to set up NFS from the Client side?

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] shares-admin not working correctly

I suspect this issue is unsolved & possibly a bug; detailed here

The shares-admin utility shares & changed correlate to settings in /etc/samba/smb.conf

In Nautilus though, when right-clicking on the directory/folder & create the share that way, it does not feature in the shares-admin or smb.conf file. Nor am I able to locate where that share data is stored, but the share is honored & viewable via nautilus network browser
    FLOSS'er

Beans

Question Re: [SOLVED] shares-admin not working correctly

for me a aways have this annoying message
    "invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/samba not foun"
    after running
    sudo system-config-samba
    does any one have a solution for it,,
    samba is really daunting
    thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: shares-admin not working correctly

Quote Originally Posted by underdog512 View Post

thanks! that worked.
    Lovely! THIS is the package I've been searching for, ever since I moved to Xubuntu.