Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the internet
    Beans
    46
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    Hi Everyone, I am running 6.10 ubuntu and was trying to upgrade to 8.04 but, first of all, my update manager only displays 7.04 as an update, and when I try to do that it says that, "Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server." what should I do? also, I can't update the applications on my synaptic package manager because, "The repository might be no longer available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing of the repository address in the preferences." now, I know my internet is working fine, I'm typing this on that computer. Are these problems related in any way, and how do I fix them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    349
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    If you're sure everything else is fine, it might be the server's problem. In system - admin - software sources, change from FOOBAR server (where foobar is your country) to the Main server.

  3. #3
    forestpixie Guest

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    Also I believe if you want go the upgrade route from 6.10 , you have to do 7.04,7.10,8.04 as there isn't an upgrade route from 6.10 to 8.04.

    I would seriously think about doing a clean install, apart from the downloads - you have to hope you can upgrade each time without problems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    2,793
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Techpenguin View Post
    Hi Everyone, I am running 6.10 ubuntu and was trying to upgrade to 8.04 but, first of all, my update manager only displays 7.04 as an update, and when I try to do that it says that, "Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server." what should I do? also, I can't update the applications on my synaptic package manager because, "The repository might be no longer available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing of the repository address in the preferences." now, I know my internet is working fine, I'm typing this on that computer. Are these problems related in any way, and how do I fix them?
    6.10's upgrade path is 6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04

    it would be easier and less problematic to just download the alternate cd install iso and run the upgrade by inserting it in your cd rom drive. its not actually supported officially but if it doesn't work you can do a clean install.
    Last edited by Oldsoldier2003; June 11th, 2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarified that my method wsn't officially supported

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    I upgraded from 6.10 to 8.04 using the command line. I changed my sources.list to this:
    Code:
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe main restricted
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe main restricted
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main universe multiverse restricted
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security universe main restricted
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security multiverse
    Then I typed in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    After everything was downloaded and installed I did (to be sure everything configured properly):
    Code:
    sudo dpkg –configure -a
    After that I checked my System > Admin > Software Sources to be sure I had no old links. After I rebooted, I did another update cleaned out the Synaptic package manager; status > not installed (residual config).

    Worked for me......

    P.S.
    Be sure to setup your GRUB menu.lst and add your new kernel to the list before reboot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    2,793
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    I upgraded from 6.10 to 8.04 using the command line. I changed my sources.list to this:
    Code:
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe main restricted
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe main restricted
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main universe multiverse restricted
    
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security universe main restricted
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security multiverse
    Then I typed in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    After everything was downloaded and installed I did (to be sure everything configured properly):
    Code:
    sudo dpkg –configure -a
    After that I checked my System > Admin > Software Sources to be sure I had no old links. After I rebooted, I did another update cleaned out the Synaptic package manager; status > not installed (residual config).

    Worked for me......
    direct upgrade from 6.10>8.04 is not supported but I'm glad to see it worked for you. you lucked out

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Upgrade/Synaptic Package Manager Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    6.10's upgrade path is 6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04

    it would be easier and less problematic to just download the alternate cd install iso and run the upgrade by inserting it in your cd rom drive.
    I had a ton of programs that I did not want to reinstall. By upgrading you wont loose anything you have installed (it's all upgraded).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •