I would like to map the so-called "Super" or "Meta-"key --- commonly called the Windows key, because that is the symbol on most current keyboards --- to the Right-Alt key of an older PC-101 keyboard. At the same time, it would be nice to map the "menu" or "context" key (which generates the same keycode as right-clicking a mouse) to the Right-Ctrl key. To do so will help reduce my dependence on the productivity-destroying computer mouse.

I have tried remapping the Super Key using xmodmap, but it has never worked. Perhaps it was an error to declare my keyboard truthfully in xorg.conf, that is, as a PC-101 keyboard, not as a more modern PC-104 keyboard. I would like to do the mod at the lowest level possible, which would presumably be at the xorg.conf level. (What use does one ever make of those keys in a virtual (or login) console?)

Can anyone help me work out settings I need to implement these two extra keys?

By the way, I am not keen to "upgrade" to a more "modern" keyboard. I own four Northgate Omnikey keyboards. These keyboards were sold in the late 1980s and early 1990s by a clone manufacturer just outside Minneapolis, MN. They are wonderful keyboards, built like a Sherman tank, weighing not much less than the tank and every bit as durable. Many people regard them as the finest PC keyboards ever built. Similarly, I have heard of the "ratpoison" DE for people like who hate mice, but I am addicted to KDE eye-candy.)

There is interesting background on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_keyboard